walk on by

After the second week of no sight of Sammy, I still can't get over it. I begin to wonder if she is as lonely as I am. Is she crying? Is she up awake at night thinking of me too? Does she wish she was with me like I wish I was with her?

I snap out of it and continue down the hall.

My head snaps back as I see what I have seconds thoughts about. Is that really her? Am I seeing what I want to see?

I turn around and walk back down the hall, stopping at her locker.

Sammy puts books away in her locker and stares straight ahead.

My stomach does a weird flip flop thing when I see her. She wears a short, pink sun dress with spaghetti straps. Her hair is down and she wears diamond earrings and sandals.

I just want to hold her and tell her that I'm here, that everything will be okay, that I'll never leave her.

Her hand stops in mid stride as she is about to put her third notebook away. She turns her head dslightly my way and stares at the ground.

I instantly see the realization in her face and the sadness in her eyes. She bites her lip and quickly looks away, putting the notebook in.

"Please leave, ace" she says suddenly, not looking at me

"Sammy plea-"

"You have done enough" she says "I don't want to talk to you"

"We have to talk this out"

She laughs, not knowing what else to do "there is no talking it out!" She says "I don't want to talk it out! I want you to leave me alone"

"You don't mean that" my heart sinks

"I mean every word of it" she says before turning away and walking away from me.

I stand there, stunned, not knowing what to think or say.

"She doesn't want to talk about it or even talk to me" I say to johnny who walks up to me, putting a hand on my shoulder. "That wasn't at all how I thought she was going to react."

He shakes his head and then sings "I DONT FUCK WITH YOU! YOU LIL STUPID ASS BITCH, I AINT FUCKIN WITH YOU!"

I shove him away "shit up, man. Why you always singin? You always gotta turn something serious into something that's a joke"

He gives me a smile as if he feels sorry me "we can't mourn all day, ace. Laughing is the only way to keep our minds off of that something or someone that hurts us the most."

I stare at him and then nod "your right"

I like that most about him. He always knows when to make someone laugh when they are upset. He always knows how to lighten the mood when it seems to be dark.

The rest of the day Sammy just walks on by me, just ignores that I'm even there. But I know that she knows I'm there, that she feels me walking past her.

Every time we pass each other her face changes and her face goes from bland to hurt. Her eyebrows coming together and her eyes low.

I want to reach out for her. I want her to reach out for me like she used to.

And it haves me wondering if she will ever reach out for me again.