no love in sight

ACE'S POV

"Sammy!" I call and catch up with her as she walks away. "Sammy, please"

"That isn't going to work anymore, ace" she says, continuing to walk "there is no more saying sorry and me forgiving you. I'm done"

"You can't give up, you can't be done, Sam" I plead "we have to talk this out"

"No!" She stomps and turns to me "ace..." She says with a hurt tone "please...you can't make this situation better...so please just stop. Every time you try to talk to me, you end up making it worse"

"I don't mean to"

"Well you do" she says "and I am tired of fighting with you, so I just want to stop talking as a whole"

"Sammy...I'm sorry"

She shakes her head "no, you aren't." She shrugs "you say you are...but you don't regret anything, remember?"

"Fuck" I sigh

"Face it, ace" she says "you like me but I just don't like you back and that's why you are so upset about danny and I, that's why you are upset with me."

My blood begins to boil as I hear her say all of this "that's not true" I lie

"Yeah...it is. We both know it" she shrugs "but don't worry, I broke up with danny anyway." She shakes her head "a point for you, ace. Be happy because I know that's what you wanted, right?"

"I never wanted to hurt you"

"Then why did you, ace? Huh? Please explain because I don't understand"

"It just happened" I sigh in defeat "it was in the moment. I was mad and you were right there and I just ended up..." I don't finish the sentence

"Shoving me to the ground?" She asks "knocking the breath out of me and then continuing to fight?" She narrows her eyes "let's not sugar coat it"

I touch her. My hand softly presses to the side of her face, working to the back of her neck, my fingers laced through her hair.

She leans into my touch even though I know she is trying to resist. "Stop" she whispers

"You don't get how hard it is to live with that everyday and not be forgiven for it." I tell her "it kills me to see you hurt. It kills me to know that you can't stand me. I can't even stand myself, Sam"

She shakes her head, her eyes closed "what has gotten into you?"

"I don't know" I admit "maybe its the people I hang around. Maybe I am just so mad at myself that I take it out on everyone else around me."

"You have to stop" she tells me, taking a step towards me.

My body aches for her, my heart aches for her.

"I know" I say softly "I know I do."

"You got kicked out of class for fighting" she says "what did you do to him?"

I feel my stomach drop because I had no intention of telling her this. "His head got busted open" I say, not saying that I did it even though I did.

"How does anyone have the ability to do that to another person?" She asks "how could you do that? I thought you would never hurt anyone"

The softness of her voice and the content of her words kill me inside. They slowly tear my heart apart.

"I don't get how you could go from sweet and loving to just..." She thinks about it "just mean"

"You have to know that I never like to see you hurt"

"What about everyone else that you hurt?"

"I-i" I stumble on my words "I don't know"

She tilts her head to the side and looks right at me. "What do you look like? I heard your face doesnt look too good"

I instantly touch my face with my free hand "my lip is buted on both sides" I tell her "I have a black eye. A few bruises. Not too bad."

"Can I?" She reaches a hand up.

"Yeah"

Her soft, cold hand touches my jaw and slides slowly over to my bottom lip. I forget about the tenderness of my face as she touches me. Its like she can heal all the pain and ache I have, mentally and emotionally.

"Does it hurt?" She asks

"It looks worse than it feels"

"I'm glad I can't see it" she jokes

I chuckle "that's the first time you have said that to me"

She blushes "well I always with I could see you but without the beat up face"

I smile "I figured" I press the side of my face to hers "I'm so sorry, Sammy"

She puts her arm around my neck "I know you are." She says "you just have to stop"

"How can I make it up to you?"

"Don't worry about that" she says "you being with me is enough"

I nod and slip my arms around her waist "I want to take you out" I whisper in her ear. "Not to a party" I assure her "but out to eat to a nice restaurant"

She laughs and shakes her head "I like taco bell" she says "nothing fancy"

"Are you sure?"

She nods "I'm positive" she says "just me and you at taco bell." She smiles "but not as a date"

I wish it was a date

"Of course not" I reply "as just friends"

She leans away just a little bit. I'm a whole foot taller than she is but I tend to bend down to be closer to her face.

I press my forehead against hers

"Your my best friend, Ace Miller" she says

"And you are mine, Sammy Key" I reply

****

"I still can't believe that you would get into fights like this!" My mom whines "you know what I think it is? I think its you not hanging out with Sammy as much. She was a great influence on you as Tracey was not!"

"Mom" I roll my eyes

"I can believe it" my dad says, nodding from his lazy boy chair with a bag of chips in his lap. "Let the boy be a man, let him get his thang goin on. He'll stop eventually"

He sips his beer "I remember in my day" he begins and I groan along with my mom "we used to go behind the school at the smoking pit and fight until one of us couldn't stand up anymore. No one was going to interfere in a fight between a guy and me I'll tell you that"

I hold up a hand "dad..stop"

He raises an eyebrow and smiles knowingly at me "hey...I was doin the damn thang"

"Oh god, alright" I shake my head in discuss "no"

He nods his head continuously "its only human nature, son" he tells me and takes another sip "it is only human nature"

My mom blushes "oh yeah" she says "we were soooo doin the damn thang"

My dad smiles "tell him how it is, honey"

She is about to speak when I yell "no!" She gives me a confused look "I don't want to hear about your sex life!"

"Well aright" she says and rolls her eyes "suit yourself"

I sigh "I'm taking Sammy to taco bell"

My dad gives a low chuckle "remember the McDonald's restroom?" He asks my mom