playing a fools game

"Kathy and I arranged for a dinner at her house tonight" my mom says

"Are you crazy? Sammy won't come down stairs if she knows I'm there" I say

"We already thought of that" my dad says "that's why Kathy only told her that some neighbors are coming for dinner"

I shake my head "she will run away"

"You were playing a fools game, son" my dad says, patting my back "now play a mans game, son, be a man. Take control"

I get dressed in black dress pants and a white button down dress shirt. Its untucked and my sleeves run past my fingertips. Shaking out my hair, I exit my house with my parents.

"Welcome!" Kathy says in her usual, unnecessary cheery voice. I begin to feel my palms get sweaty so I while them on my jeans.

I walk in with my parents as Kathy opens the door for us. Sammy stands there next her dad. She wears a pair off jean shorts and a white shirt that hangs off of her shoulder, exposing her white bra strap. She has on teal converse shoes and her diamond earrings. She smells of vanilla.

I try not to scoop her into my arms so I keep them in my pockets.

Her face changes from a smile to a frown when we all sit at the dinner table. I keep my hands i n my lap, trying not to touch her as she sits next to me with the help of her mother.

"Something isn't right" I hear her mumble

Her hands raise up and I suck in a breath. She touches my arm and she frowns. She let's her hand travel up my arm to my hair.

"I hate you, mom" she suddenly says and drops her hand "how could you not tell me that it was ace's family?!"

"Honey, you haven't left the house or even left your bed at all for the past three weeks besides for school" Kathy says "you need to work this out with ace"

She stands up and feels her way out of the bench "I can't believe you, ace. You know what I said to you." She says "I don't want to talk to you"

I stand up and walk after her as she walks back out of the room. I grab her arm as we get in the hall.

"What?!" She yells, jerkinng her arm out if my grasp

"I'm sorry, Sammy" I apologize

"No you aren't" she argues "your just like every other guy in school. Except you didn't rape me" she snaps

"Don't talk like that"

"What?" She asks "that's what happened! Am I not good enough for you? Am I not the perfect person? Is that why I'm not important to you?"

"Jeez" I sigh "you know I didn't mean it like that"

She stares down at the floor "your only making things worse by trying to make them better." She says "like I said: only you have the ability to hurt me...and you did."

No statement has ever hurt me worse than that one right there.

I hurt her

"I was just getting over it" she continues "I was just starting to make myself believe that nothing between us had ever happened"

"Why would you want to forget all of that?" I ask

"Because its easier that way." She bites her lip "please, ace...now I just hurt all over again"

"Sammy" I reach my right hand to her face, running my thumb over her cheek and then lacing my fingers in her hair.

She leans into my touch

"I can't stand not being around you." I tell her "not touching you...or talking to you."

Her eyebrows come together "that's the problem" she whispers "I don't want you to feel that way, I don't want you to feel that way." She stares up at me "and I don't feel that way."

She doesn't feel that way

"You don't feel that way" I repeat as if needing confirmation

"No I don't" she removes my hand from her face and puts it back down to my side "I haven't ever felt that way." She says "I have to go now"

I watch as she leaves, not glancing back once.

"She will barely even look at me" I tell my parents and her parents

"She's just upset" Chris tells me

"No no" I shake my head "she is something else" I say "she won't even accept my apology. She said..." I can't bring myself to say it, so instead I say "I'm going home. Don't let the food go to waist."

****

I lean against the window of my room, staring at Sammy's covered window.

And suddenly I see the curtain slowly pull back as if she can feel me here.

My cell phone rings and I quickly answer it. "Hello?"

Sammy shows up in her window and she stares right at me "are you in your window?"

"Yes"

I see her blush and look down "I could feel you watching" she whispers through the phone

"You did?"

"Yes" she answers "I have to tell you something"

"Anything"

She puts her hand against the window "I miss you"

I let out a breath "god, I miss you too, Sammy"

She wipes her eyes with her free hand "remember when we said that you should come to my room through our windows?"

"Yeah" I smile

"You should do that now"

I chuckle "I'll be right over"

"Okay"

We hang up and I want h her disappear from behind the curtain.