Chapter 35

Kumiko's P

Kumiko's P. O. V:

We all split up into groups to find the former council members in order to protect them and find out why they're being targeted. Just as I'd said earlier, I'd given each group a Crystal Orb to aid them in battle should they need it.

I've been put in the same group as Gray and Juvia, my arms wrapped around the bluenette to keep from falling off, as she does the same to Gray, who is at the reins of the large jaguar animal we're riding, while Luna flies beside us. We were on our way to protect Master Hogg.

Gray tells us, "We're almost there."

I'm wearing my usual red long sleeved blouse with my black skirt, knee high black socks and brown flats, my hair loose around my shoulders. I've also decided to wear my black cape. Luna has changed into a light green dress with a matching bow in the end of her tail.

I murmur, "I hope we get there in time."

Suddenly, the animal we're riding stops and crouches down, seemingly in fear. Gray asks it, "Hey, what's the matter?" The jaguar whines in protest.

Luna asks, gazing at the jaguar, then back at us, "What's wrong?"

With her brows furrowed, Juvia glances from the jaguar, then to the town, "I think she's afraid."

"Well, who knows what's waiting for us," Gray mutters, looking up at the town ahead.

"Whatever it is, it can't be good for us," Luna says, cuddling against my chest and burying her face in my shoulder, now feeling afraid.

~~~

"You found Master Hogg?" Master asks after Gray had set up the Communication Lacrima and contacted the guild hall.

Gray replies, tone filled with remorse and disappointment that we weren't fast enough, "We did, but Tartaros found him first."

"Just how late were we? And had the culprit left?"

I reply, "Late, and yes." My stomach churns at the memory of the destroyed town when Gray, Juvia, Luna and I had walked through it. "The culprit had already left before we'd got there." I'd sent Luna to check for any survivors, but she'd found none, disappointing us more.

"Such horrific destruction," Master gasps when we show him the state of the town.

We watch as the lacrima switches to Team Shadow Gear Who was with Gajeel and Panthrrlily, hoping they'd had more luck than us. But, they'd had failed to get there in time, just like us. Though, from what we'd gathered, the Tartaros member who'd killed the woman they were sent to protect had left the town unharmed.

Now, we were just waiting for Elfman and Lisanna to contact us, along with Natsu's group.

Just then, Lucy's face appears in the lacrima screen. The Heartfilia exclaims in relief, "It's working! Hey, Gramps, can you hear me?!" I notice that the blonde's clothes were tattered.