Chapter 44

Kumiko's P. O. V:

We all gather before the dragons, each of us Slayers having a reunion with our respective dragons. My mother, Diaspro, is smaller and slimmer than the other dragons, but she's probably the second strongest, after Igneel. Diaspro is a slender dragon with blue crystalline scales, and a long tail with a point at the end.

I stand next to a stunned Sting and Rogue, while I cry tears of happiness, laughing with my mother at the same time

"I've missed you so much, mother!" I say happily, smiling widely up at her.

"My, how much you've grown, my dear, sweet Kumiko. I'm very proud of you. And I see you've found your mate at last," She says, with a glance at the Shadow Dragon Slayer beside me. Blushing lightly, I glance at Rogue as well and meet his gaze. He smiles back at me. "Obviously, I approve."

"M-Mother!" I stutter shyly, blushing a bit more. She just chuckles back at me.

Looking back at me, mother apologises, "I hope you can forgive me, Kumiko-chan, for having left you alone all that time. Even before I left, there were still people hunting us down. It must've been hard for you, dear."

The scar on my left hip throbs at the memory of me being surrounded by a nasty group of bandits and one of them slashing at me with his large sword. That was the year before I joined Fairy Tail, not too long after Diaspro vanished.

I wipe the tears away as I smile at her and shake my head, saying, "It's not your fault, mother. You taught me everything I needed to know enough to survive on my own. But, then I found my new family, in Rogue-kun and Fairy Tail..." I trail off as I glance toward Erza, Gray and Luna. They catch my eye and smile back at me, but then my smile fades as I catch the Fullbuster's attention. A sad expression settles on my face.

Mother asks me, as I look away, "Why do you look so sad, my dear?"

"...... It's just something I have to do after this, and I don't think I'm ready for it," I reply after a long, hesitant pause.

"I'm sure you'll be fine, dear, whatever it is." I feel Rogue gazing at me curiously, but I don't meet his gaze.

Sting murmurs to Weisslogia, "I don't get it. I remember killing you... so, how can you be here?"

Rogue says, "I need to ask you the same question, Skiadrum. How are you still alive?"

Weisslogia responds, "We altered your memories, in order to help you grow strong."

Skiadrum adds, "It was an experiment of ours, one Igneel was against. We raised you both as Dragon Slayers, and to complete your upbringing, we gave you the experience of slaying dragons."

Weisslogia states, "However, it's incorrect to say that we're still alive."

Grandeeney inputs, "In the truest sense, we've been dead for quite sometime. Many years ago, Acnologia used his Dragon Slayer Magic to tear our spirits from our bodies. So we had three reasons for residing within you. Please understand. We did it to defeat Acnologia and prevent you from transforming. But it was also the only way we had to survive."