Chapter 18

Kumiko's P. O. V:

I float in a sphere of shadow threaded with light. The light threads show memories of me and Rogue.

The first was of when I first met Rogue seven years ago, then when Sting, Rogue and I were at the restaurant, devouring our food much to the waitresses' shock, then when we were dancing in the streets of Crocus. The third was of when Rogue and I came back from our date on the second night, and we kissed under the stars. The next memory was of me playing the piano for Rogue, and then being held in his arms as he stroked my hair soothingly.

Tears slip down my cheeks as I realise that I didn't get enough time with Rogue, the man I met seven years ago, and the one I fell in love with, even as the years passed by when I didn't see him.

"I wish could spend more time with you!" I sob, pain wracking my body at the thought of not being able to be with him.

Rogue's smiling face suddenly appears on my mind, his crimson eyes that hold such kindness and that seem to calm me.

My thoughts travel back to the present Rogue, then Natsu and Lucy.

I can't pity myself right now; it won't do me any good, not in this situation. I have to help my family! I couldn't stay here anymore!

I take a deep breath and chant, briefly activating my Drive and Dragon Force, "Crystal Dragon: Wing Attack!" Crystals burst from my arms and strike the walls of shadow around me. Rogue's spell tears open as crystals burst through, disrupting the spell.

Once free, my Dragon Force deactivates, and I jump to my feet. I throw open the door, and run out, going in search of Future Rogue.

I find him crouched on a stone pillar on the right side of the corridor. I glare angrily when I see him swallowing Natsu with shadow. "Once I kill Natsu, I'll end Lucy Heartfilia next! Then no one will be able to stop me!" Rogue says, sounding triumphant.

I feel rage boil in my blood at those words. He plans to kill Lucy?!

And how dare he talk about my friends like they mean absolutely nothing!

Rogue turns his head at the sound of my footsteps, and his eyes widen in surprise. "Crystal Dragon: Roar!!" I exhale a huge burst of crystal from my mouth and it shoots for Future Rogue. He attempts to turn into shadow to dodge but my attack reaches him first. My Crystal Roar hits Future Rogue and throws him backward, causing Rogue to cry out as he slams into the wall. A massive hole is made through the wall.

When the attack dies down, Rogue slumps to the floor and glares back at me. I stand before him with a blank expression. "What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Rogue growls. He stands and faces me. "Stand down, Kumiko! For I have seven years worth of magic! You cannot defeat me!"

Power surges through me as more anger rises, and I activate my Dragon Force and Drive.

"Stand down, Future Rogue. For you cannot hope to defeat me!" I say, throwing Rogue's words right back at him. "You've harmed my family, threatened my friends. I will not allow you to continue this madness! I'm only going to give you one chance to back down."

"I will not! I've come too far to back down now!" Rogue's black and white hair flies up as he activates Dragon Force, the right side of his body turning black.