Chapter 2| CID

I reeked of alcohol. I can't even remember how I could ride the plane from Arkansas to this, whatever city I am in right now. All I know is Rick assured me we are still in the US. I don't care at all. A while ago, it said from the arrival area that we were at the Boston Logan airport, and we were now parked in what seemed to be a hotel parking lot. 

"Cid, wake up. We are here." Rick was waking me up from my side of the car window. 

I saw from the hotel entrance the sign said Courtyard Marriott. Well, at least Rick could have my father approved of me to stay here in Marriott, Boston. I walked toward the hotel lobby without my luggage. I am so dizzy even to walk. Rick will make sure anyway to take care of my luggage. One perk of being a Waldon. 

Perks, my ass! If there is anything I don't want to be right now is to be known as a Waldon, the one and only heir to the Billionaire Clubs' Waldon Family. 

My coming here is not to enjoy the Waldon "perks." I came here to receive punishment. However, I am not aware of any wrongdoing on my part. I don't have any choice. My father knows best! He does everything his way. And I ensured I had a counter punch to all of it every time. For five years now, I was never sober. Different bar every night, and every bed-different woman. Kudos to the "old man" who didn't cut my allowance despite my lavish and womanizing lifestyle. And Rick never left my side. He has been a loyal friend and assistant since we were young boys. He is family, like his father to my dad. If there is any praise my dad deserves, that is for being a freaking human despite his being a self-made billionaire—a man with a human heart and a gentle soul. My parents raised me with no ego. Household help, considered family, surrounded me from the gardener, the cook, the cleaner, and the driver. We have a gigantic house in a vast secluded Arkansas area for the rich, the famous, the millionaires, and the billionaires, but everyone inside our house was family. And I salute my dad for ensuring that, because that is how I roll.

"Welcome to Courtyard Marriott Worcester, Sir!"

"Thanks! Wait! What? Am I not in Boston right now?" The front desk lady's greeting awakened me.

"Oh no, Sir. We are in Worcester, Massachusetts. It's a city outside Boston, Sir."

I looked into Rick's eyes with confusion. "I thought we arrived at Boston Logan from Arkansas?"

"Yes, we did, but we drove from Boston Logan to Worcester, Massachusetts. Like the Worcester sauce!" Rick replied with his smirking face. The face he loves to show when he knows he defeats me in something without me knowing. 

"And where exactly is this? Why am I here Rick?"

"Well, for starters, this is where your father chose you to be. Let me check us in first, and I'll discuss everything in the room."

I looked around from the hotel entrance while Rick was doing the check-in process at the front desk. Where in the world are we? I can see buildings that look the same as those in historical books and magazines. I feel the countryside vibe. At 4 PM on a Friday, the quiet and glooming grey surrounding gave me chills. It differs from the usual bright and loud life I have lived for five years. 

What is in here that Dad chose for me?

***

"Are you freaking serious right now, Rick?" 

I am in disbelief. Rick just told me I would stay here for at least a month as per my dad's instructions, well, more of like orders. I will work in one of our small W Supermarket branches in this city. But that is not what freaks me out. 

"I will work what?" I repeated the same question to Rick five times at the last minute. He only gave me a smirking nod nonstop. I wanted very much to poke his annoying face. 

"You heard and understood it perfectly, Ciddy! Your Dad's lawyer already emailed you a copy of the will and the stipulated conditions. You will work from the bottom for at least a month and get promoted to any position higher to pass the requirement. If you fail, goodbye inheritance! Goodbye, all, as in all W Supermarkets of America!"

I can't believe what I am reading in my dad's will. His lawyer sent it in my email. I keep scrolling on my cell phone, hoping there will be a change as I do the scrolling repeatedly. 

"And one more thing, Ciddy!" Rick is grinning, totally enjoying the conversation, I can say. 

"Stop calling me Ciddy! I can surely punch you right now!"

"The most important part of this punishment... I meant, this assignment is that you will introduce yourself to everyone as Cid Williams and not as Cid Waldon."

"And why will I use your last name, Rick? Oh, Don't tell me?" my eyebrows furrowed.

"Yes, my friend. It's going to be like, Undercover Boss. Just that you will not be the boss, but me. I will introduce you as Cid Williams, my childhood friend who will undergo training as a "shelf refill associate." How do you like the title I gave you, huh? And I will introduce myself as Rick Waldon, the one and only heir to the W Supermarket Billion Empire."

"I can't believe Dad approved of this, even thought of this. Are we in some prank show for the Waldons? Or a reality show, maybe?"

Rick can't help himself. He was laughing so hard. I think dad had gone crazy! But it is a dead end for me. I don't care about the will, but one condition stated that it would cut me off from everything if I didn't agree or do my part. And everything means including my allowances, cards, cars, and penthouses in the states I frequent with my nightlife friends. 

I can't afford to lose those. Anyway, it's just going to be for a month. Nobody should know who I am during my stay here working as a "shelf refill associate." You jerk, Rick!

"Cid, we still have two hours tops before the Annual Dinner Meeting in W Supermarket. Just be ready by 7 PM later."

"I swear, Rick, I will make you pay for this!" 

I got some sleep before the dinner meeting. I guess there is no other way to deal with this but by enjoying this once-in-a-lifetime experience. 

Just a month, only for a month, Cid! I whispered to myself as I dozed off. 

***