Chapter 25| CID

I admit as days passed by; it got more challenging for me to be away from Aya. Since we returned to Worcester from New York, I have told Rick how it tempted me to propose to Aya. But I don't want to take advantage of her vulnerable situation. Witnessing what happened when we visited her parents, she needed my comfort and protection more than my proposal. And as Rick said, I should think and prepare well for it. Sometimes Rick's brain works well!

With Jane's input and Rick's help, I planned the proposal that suits My Aya best a month after our Brooklyn getaway. We expect Rick to arrive with the ring I ordered from Tiffany's NYC next week. Since we came back, we have become closer and more understanding. I can't wait for us to be together as husband and wife.

I have worked in WS Worcester remotely from the HQ office since my dad started working again. Technology makes all things remotely possible. If the situation permits, Rick is the one who flies back and forth. As much as possible, I'd rather stay here with Aya. But I know the time will come that my staying here will not work anymore. That is why my dad supported my intention of proposing to Aya. So that if that time comes, Aya is already Mrs. Aya Waldon. She won't have reason to decline to go with me when I need to leave Massachusetts.

I know that aside from being my girlfriend, Jane may be another reason that may stop Aya from coming with me. She feels guilty leaving Jane behind, if ever. So, without her knowing, I first ask Jane's permission about the proposal. Then, when Aya attended her classes for flower shop management, I met with Jane over lunch. I was nervous because I knew Jane's importance in Aya's life.

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting, Cid. But, unfortunately, it took me 10 minutes more than usual to drive from W to here," said Jane.

"Nothing to worry about, Jane! Let us order now." 

After they served our food, Jane asked me what the lunch was for. I indeed look like a mess the way she laughs at me. 

"Well, I'm sure this lunch didn't come out of the blue, Cid!"

"Yes, you got it right! I don't know how to start, but I know I have to start it with you since you are very important to Aya. And I consider you the same. So I want to ask your permission before I propose to Aya."

"Oh, Cid, you're making me cry. But these will be tears of joy!"

"Thank you. I always promise to make Aya happy."

"I know." Jane started wiping her tears. "There is no doubt about that anymore. You have proven your intentions and love for Aya. You have my blessing!"

"Thank you so much, Jane! I plan to do it a month after we come back from New York. I will need your help in ordering her ring. Please!"

"Of course! Anything I can do to help. Your secret is safe with me."

"Also, Jane, there is one more I need to ask from you."

"What about Cid?"

"I'm sure you know there will come a time when they will need me to stay in WS HQ in Arkansas. I hoped that by that time, Aya can already come with me for good."

"I expected that. Be together to start your family."

"Thanks for understanding. But I am also proposing to you, Jane. So when that time comes, please come with us. It will make both of us happy! HR can arrange your transfer to any branch with the same position and everything."

Jane cried again. I got nervous that I might have offended her with what I said. 

"I'm sorry, Jane if I offended you. But please believe me that my intention comes from a good place. Besides, we can't leave you here behind."

"Oh, Cid!" Immediately, she cleared her face with her hands. "You made me so happy! You are so sweet! We are lucky to have you in our lives!"

"Is that a yes, then?"

"Of course, it's a yes! I don't have any other family here, only Aya and you!"

We hugged each other. I thanked Jane very much for giving me her blessing and for accepting my proposal. I'm sure her coming with us will make Aya happy. There'll never be a chance that I will not consider Jane in planning our future. 

Jane is family.

But just as I thought everything planned was going smoothly, I got a call from Rick days before I expected him to fly back from New York.

"Hello, Rick! What's up, man?"

"Cid, you need to come here to New York asap!"

"What's the matter, Rick?"

"I accidentally met Courtney. You need to talk to her in person before she goes to press Cid!"

"Courtney, who?"

"The lingerie model you were with the day before we flew to Worcester four months ago. Remember?"

"The jet is coming in Boston. It's on its way. I already arranged for your ride from the hotel to the airport tomorrow morning. So I will wait for you here in New York. Let's talk about it once you are here. See you, Cid!"

I can't think. What about Courtney? What is she going to tell the press? But I know it's important since Rick sent the jet without consulting me first. So I will fly back immediately after. 

Since I will leave for New York on short notice, I have to inform Aya when I pick her up from her class. She looked bright and giggly when she saw me standing outside my car waiting for her. 

"Well, this is a surprise, Mr. Waldon! What happened to your driver/bodyguard? You should still be in WS right now?!"

"Are you not happy to see me here?"

"I'm so thrilled and you make my heart flutter! It's a pleasant surprise, but I don't want you leaving your job to pick me up."

"I missed you! And I want to be with you before I fly to New York tomorrow."

"New York? What happened?" Her hand immediately touched my jaw. "Is there a problem?"

"Honestly, I don't have a clue. Rick just called to inform me he sent the jet to pick me up for me to fly tomorrow morning. So he'll wait for me there."

Aya stared into my eyes. "Are you okay? Is there something you are not telling me right now?"

Looking at her face, I know she feels I am not telling her everything. We have this strong connection; we feel bothered. And I love that about us. It's like knowing each other on a different level. Not like being secretive about each other, but more like knowing if something is worrying us. I drove us to my suite, and once we got inside, Aya didn't waste any time.

"Cid, spill it out now. We will surely talk about this, anyway. Be the first to tell me now."

"I don't have any idea what it is about. But according to Rick, I need to go to New York ASAP to talk to Courtney before she talks to the press. Since Rick sent the jet without consulting me, I assumed it was imperative."

"Who is Courtney Cid?"

***