Chapter 23

Allie's POV:

"RILEY AND MADDIE?"

My eyes were trained on the two people on the stage, and I blinked a few times. 

Yep... still them.

The stadium's roar from before had fallen down to a quiet murmur. Several people looked over at our class, probably trying to gauge our reactions. 

Honestly, I didn't even know my reaction.

I was surprised, obviously. 

If someone had told me that two of my best friends were global-sans-America pop stars and had been for almost three-quarters of the time that I'd known them, I would've laughed and brushed it off. 

I thought that I would've felt a little hurt that they didn't tell me, but instead... I felt pride.

Our class was still stunned quiet, but I snapped out of the trance and started cheering and clapping. The others followed, and soon the whole stadium was whistling and whooping.

Maddie seemed to sigh in relief, and I smiled, hoping she saw me. 

She and Riley bowed, and Riley spoke into his mic, "Thank you, Yellowknife, good night!"

Cayden frowned slightly. "That's a little short," he commented as Maddie and Riley walked off stage. 

Alex shrugged. "Makes sense, considering they were only singing singles."

People started filtering out of the stadium, and our group got pushed out until we ended up outside.

A little while later, Maddie and Riley stepped outside. They were instantly swarmed with reporters, but a burly man that followed Maddie and Riley waved them off.

I could hear a "Thanks, Chuck," and then our two friends were headed towards us. As soon as they were in hearing range, we bombarded them with questions.

"So you guys are pop stars?"

"Is it cool being famous?"

"How'd you become T&M?"

"How come none of us knew?"

At the last one, Alex and Cameron let out amused huffs. 

"What?" I asked, a little defensive. 

Maddie and Riley exchanged looks, both of them grinning. "Uh, after we get back to the villa we'll answer all your questions," Riley said, holding his hands out to stop all talk. 

"Your villa," Cayden realized. 

Maddie laughed. "Yeah."

"I'm friends with pop stars," Julie commented dazedly. 

About fifteen minutes later, we were settled in the common room. Maddie and Riley sat in two beanbag chairs facing the rest of us, who were settled on the big couch.

"So how do we do this?" Ian asked. 

Maddie tapped her chin. "Um... you guys ask one question at a time and we'll take turns answering?"

"Sure," I agreed. "Can I start?"

The others nodded. 

I shifted in my seat, trying to get more comfortable. "How'd you become famous?"

Riley grinned. "When we were... thirteen- almost fourteen, I think- we were singing for fun on the streets a song that Maddie made up. Apparently, we passed a music critic on the streets, because two days later Myran LeBlanc posted that he heard two kids with our description singing a... 'resonating' song, and he complimented the talent. My mom saw the post and contacted Maddie's mom. Things kinda spiraled from there. Basically, we got ahold of a record deal later on by singing at a park, and T&M started growing."

Maddie nodded, sighing with a smile. "Good times..."

Brandon snickered. "I'll go next?" When he got a couple of nods, he continued, "You being a dancer ~sort of~ explains how you're so strong, but... how are you guys so strong?"

Maddie grinned, teasingly flexing an arm. "We work out once a week. Running laps, pull-ups, weight-lifting, yoga... etcetera."

Brandon tilted his head in thought. "Maybe I should try yoga," he thought aloud. 

Alex snickered. "Doubt you could handle it," she commented. 

Brandon stuck his tongue out at her. 

Riley chuckled. "Next question?"

"What's your biggest fear about being T&M?" Mia arched an eyebrow.

Maddie let out a huff. "'Course he gets all the serious ones-"

Riley smirked and poked her side, which she let out a laugh and batted his hand away. 

Riley then turned back to Mia. "Uh... I think my biggest fear is losing the peace and calm I had before we became T&M to the publicity. Y'know, like never being able to have a moment to relax thanks to the stuff."

Maddie nodded in agreement. "Or never being able to eat another Cow Tales," she shuddered.

I laughed. It felt like my whole view of Maddie and Riley had changed, but in another sense, everything was exactly the same. Maddie was still obsessed with her candy, Riley still wore his familiar headphones around his neck, and both were still very much the best friends that I knew and loved. 

"Did Cameron know? Cause you guys seem close and in elementary you full-on despised each other..." Ian trailed off. 

Cameron smirked. "Perceptive, perceptive."

"I knew too, for the record," Alex interjected. 

"Wait, really? Since when?" Cayden interjected. 

Cameron tapped her chin. "Uh... I think four years ago? Since Maddie's mom was helping my mom with something, I had to go to her house and walked in on them practicing."

"Scared the crap out of me," Riley lamented, shaking his head.

"I found out this morning," Alex said simply.

I shook my head. "Can't believe I didn't notice sooner."

Cayden rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, heh..."

Maddie snickered. "I mean, you two rays of sunshine are really oblivious..."

I opened my mouth to protest, but then Maddie pointed at Riley. "He had a crush on you for two years."

"Point taken."

We talked for a while longer before Mia yawned. I realized some of us were half-asleep already, and Cayden must've thought the same, since he said, "We should probably get to bed before Alex passes out."

At the mention of her name, Alex shot up and rubbed her eyes. "I'm up, Mo- oh."

Brandon snickered, and Alex smacked him lightly, sticking her tongue out. 

"Yeah, I feel like I'm going to fall asleep any minute," Leo mumbled, rubbing his eyes. 

"See you tomorrow," Julie waved, heading out the door.

I stood up and made to follow. "Maybe I'll wake up and this'll all be a dream."

"Doubt it," Riley called after me. 

A/N: Holy cow I'm a month late- 

Sorry it's short but I wanted to get this out before I procrastinated even further, there's was some sTuFf going on in January and other things took priority over writing, so...

*twiddles fingers*

Anywho, hope this chapter isn't bad, and I'll try to get the next one out as soon as I can :/

Thanks for reading~