Chapter 17

Maddie's POV:

I stared in horror at the scene on the couch. Leila had her tongue shoved down Cayden's throat, and he wasn't pushing her away. I warned him about this, and he just ignored me!

I heard Leila sigh and I let out a strangled gasp. I felt tears forming, so I just shook my head and ran upstairs. I heard Cayden call after me, but I was too hurt to care. I darted into my real room, not the guest one, and slammed the door.

I buried my head in my pillow and sobbed. 

I thought he trusted me! I trusted him, and this is how he repays me? Just, just- UUUUGGGHHH.

I heard a knock on the door. 

"Go away," I said. 

"Mads, it's me, can we talk?" I heard Riley's voice through the door. 

I huffed. "Fine, I'll go to my guest room, though."

Three minutes later, I was sitting on the guest bed, eating Cow Tales. 

Riley rubbed my back. "So, I'm not really good at this girl talk stuff, do you want me to get Allie? Or Cammie?"

I shook my head, biting on another Cow Tale. "It's fine. It's stupid, really, I don't even know why I'm this upset, I never cry."

He shook his head. "Well, you warned him not to fall for her tricks, and he didn't listen. He was kissing a girl who injured you on purpose, and even if she did it first, he didn't stop her. I'd say you have a right to be this upset," he said.

I glared at him. "Wow, I feel so much better," I said sarcastically. 

He grinned. "You're welcome," he said snarkily. That made me laugh. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to get Cameron and/or Allie?" he asked. 

I sighed. "Fine, just don't let Cayden in, I'm really mad at him."

He nodded, got up, and left. I flopped back on my bed. 

My phone buzzed, and I looked at the screen to see a text from my mom. 

Mom: Hey sweetie, how's the trip so far? Has anyone figured it out?

Maddie: No. Is it too late to cancel the concert?

Mom: What happened?

Maddie: A friend of mine betrayed my trust :(

Mom: Do you know that for sure?

Maddie: Well, I guess not...

Mom: Why don't you talk to them first, and let them explain?

Maddie: Mm, fine.
                  I gotta go, my friends will be in my room soon. Love you!

Mom: Love you too, sweetie 🥰 

Somebody knocked on my door. 

"Who is it?" I called.

"Girl, it's me and Cameron, Riley sent us up here," Allie's voice said, slightly muffled by the door.

"Where's Riley?" I asked as Allie and Cameron came in.

Allie sat down on my bed.

"He went to go scold Cayden and to kick Leila out," Cameron replied. 

I hummed in satisfaction. "Good."

Allie sighed. "I just can't believe Cayden would do that, though."

"He is really trusting, though, so maybe Leila tricked him?" Cameron suggested. 

I sighed. "I don't even know why I'm this upset, I never cry."

Allie thought for a moment. "Do you think that you might be jealous of Leila?"

"WHAT?" I shouted. "Why would I be jealous of her?"

"Actually, that kinda makes sense," Cameron said. "Maybe your old crush is resurfacing?"

I scoffed. "I grew out of that. No way," I said, but a flicker of uncertainty flickered inside me. I brushed it off. 

Riley's POV:

"Get out," I said, glaring at Leila. The others were in the living room as well, silently watching the exchange.

"Why?" she asked pitifully, going for the 'damsel in distress' act.

I rolled my eyes. "To start with, you harrassed my friend, hurt another, and you lie with every breath you take."

Her eyes widened. "What are you talking about?"

"You forced yourself on Cayden, hurt Maddie physically and emotionally, and you definitely don't know T&M."

Leila scoffed. "How do you know that I'm not telling the truth when I say that I know T&M?"

"Did you forget that we live here, with their butler?" Alex spoke up. "If you actually had been to their house, the butler would have seen it. Charles said that this was your first time visiting."

"W-well, he's lying!" Leila stammered. 

"Just get out," I said.

Leila glared, tossed her hair, and stormed to the doorway. As she opened the door, a bucket dumped fake spiders on her head. She shrieked and stumbled out the door. 

Mia chuckled. "Nice touch with the spiders, Leo," she said.

"Thanks," Leo replied. He grinned, looking pleased with himself.

I clapped my hands. "Do your own stuff, go back to your rooms, whatever, just wait while I fix this mess," I called to the others. As they left, I sat next to Cayden. 

He groaned and buried his head in his hands. "How's Maddie?"

"She's fine. We all know how tough she is. She just feels betrayed," I said, glancing over at him. He seemed to shrink under my gaze. 

He sighed. "This is all my fault."

I didn't deny it. "Dude, what happened?"

"She said she wanted to talk, and she seemed so sad, so I followed her into the living room," he started. "She started saying things like, 'They all hate me' or 'Did Maddie turn you against me?' and she seemed genuinely upset. I was super uncomfortable. She seemed like she wanted to prove to me that she was nice, and she forced herself on me. I was too shocked to push her away, and I just let it happen," he said frustratedly.

I blinked. "Wow, she really is a lying snake," I said.

Cayden let out a humorless laugh. "I've ruined my friendship with Maddie, she probably hates me."

I patted his back and got up. "Give it time," I called, climbing up the stairs. 

A/N: So this is kind of a short chapter, more like a filler, but I just wanted to write Maddie's reaction to the kiss... note that she's a tiny bit uncertain of her crush resurfacing ;)