Chapter 9

Maddie's POV:

Back in the common room, Cayden said, "Okay. . . what do we want to do?"

Miss Martin had left us and went to her guest bedroom just a few minutes ago after reminding us we had 13 days from the concert.

"First, do we want to all do something as a group, or do you guys wanna just do stuff on your own?" I asked.

"Group," everyone decided.

"Well, I saw something about a beach on the way here," Cameron added.

I pulled out my phone and googled, 'beaches near me'.

"Oh yeah, there's a beach about fifteen minutes from here," I announced. "Pack a bag, people, we're going to the beach! Either change and wear a cover-up or pack your swimsuit in your bag, we don't want anybody being charged with public indecency."

The class laughed, and we walked back to our rooms. 

Emptying my Mickey Mouse backpack, I unzipped my suitcase and pulled out a cherry patterned two-piece, a Panama hat, and a red cover-up. After changing, I put a beach towel, some books, my phone, sunscreen, and candy (obviously) into my bag and walked out.

Allie greeted me in the hallway. "Nice, girl, you look cute!"

"You too, Riley's gonna fall over himself when he sees you," I teased. 

Right on cue, Riley walked up to us and almost tripped over his feet. "Whoa, Allie, you look. . . nice."

Allie blushed furiously.

Cameron walked out wearing a teal cover-up. "Hey- why is Allie so red?"

"Riley said she looked nice," I answered, grinning at the two.

Cameron nodded. "That would do it."

The rest of the class came out just then, so we walked downstairs and out the door.

After fifteen minutes of walking, we saw a sign for the beach. "We're here," I announced, skipping towards the entrance.  

Alex, Mia, Brandon, and Ian went off to change while the rest of us started to set up.

Just as I started to unfold the beach chairs Charles had given us, I hear a familiar voice.

"Hey, Cayden!"

Riley's POV:

I turned around to see Leila walking towards us in a bathing suit. What the. . . 

"Are you stalking us?" Maddie asked, crossing her arms over her chest. 

Leila giggled. "Of course not, silly. My mom works here, I saw some familiar faces, so I came over!"

"Hey, is this that chick that made you guys make up a fake girlfriend for Cayden?" Jake said before any of us could stop him.

Leila blinked. "Fake girlfriend?" 

"You're dead to me," I heard Cayden whisper to Jake.

Just then, Alex, Mia, Brandon, and Ian came out.

"Hey, is that the chick-" Brandon started.

"Yeah, yeah," Maddie said, cutting him off. She pulled her cover-up off and bounded towards the waves. "Coming, anybody?"

Cayden followed her, which made Leila follow. 

I sighed. "Guess we're all going," I said, pulling a volleyball from my bag.

The rest of the girls tugged off their cover-ups and we followed Maddie into the water.

I tossed Maddie the volleyball, and she caught it, twirling it on her fingertip. "The only rules; don't let the volleyball touch water, don't catch it, only hit or bump. Got it? Good," she said quickly, spiking the ball into the air. 

Alex dived for the ball and hit it towards me. I bumped it into the air, and Brandon hit it back to Ian. We went a few rounds until Cayden got hit in the shoulder- hard.

"Stop! Cayden, you good?" Maddie asked, gliding over to him. 

He winced. "Yeah, but I'm just gonna sit a few rounds out," he replied, gritting his teeth. 

"You guys can keep playing, I'll sit out with him," Maddie told us. 

Jake nodded and served the ball. I hit it back, and the game continued.

Cayden's POV:

Maddie led me to where we'd set up close to the shore. 

"Scale from 1 to 10, ten being excruciatingly painful, how bad is it?" she asked. My shoulder was starting to sting. 

"Uh, 7.5? It doesn't feel broken, but it hurts," I replied. Leila, who had been watching us from the sand, came rushing over.  

"Oh my gosh, Cayden! Are you okay?" she asked, shoving Maddie aside.

Maddie fell to the side and cried out. "Ah, my ankle! Leila, what the heck?"

Leila rolled her eyes but said sweetly, "Oh, I'm so sorry! I was just so worried about Cayden. . ."

Maddie struggled to a sitting position. "Crap, I think it's sprained."

The others walked over. 

"'Sup, Mini?" Jake said, sitting down. 

"Little Miss Liar here sprained my ankle," she said, glaring at Leila. 

"I said I was sorry, gosh!" Leila snapped.

Maddie rolled her eyes. "Whatever. It might not be sprained, anyway."

Alex narrowed her eyes at Leila. "Better watch yourself, Leila," she said coldly. 

"B-but, Cayden knows I didn't do it on purpose!" Leila exclaimed

"You didn't have to shove her out of the way," I said, frowning. Leila huffed. 

Riley crouched beside Maddie. "Scale of 1 to 10-"

"7, I guess," she replied. 

Riley nodded. "Then it's probably not sprained."

Maddie dug into her backpack and pulled out some candy. She waved her hand, offering some to us.

We all took one except for Leila. 

"So, fake girlfriend?" Leila said, narrowing her eyes at me. "What's that about?"

"Duh, my brother's not interested in you!" Cameron exclaimed.

"Well, then I'll settle for being his friend," Leida decided, facing me.

I groaned. "Maybe." 

Leila smiled and scooted closer to me. I scooted away from her, which meant I was closer to Maddie. 

Riley held out a hand to Maddie, and she pulled herself up. 

Allie helped steady her. "Careful, girl."

Maddie whooped. "All good, I can walk!"

"Don't run too much, though," Mia warned.

"Yeah, yeah," Maddie said, waving her off. "I want ice cream, who's coming with?" she announced, slinging her backpack over her shoulder.

We all stood up, including Lila. Riley's eyes narrowed, but he didn't say anything.

"Okay. . . how 'bout half of us go to get ice cream for the group," Maddie suggested. "The rest of you plan activities for the rest of the day."

We agreed. Riley, Maddie, Allie, Cameron, and I would go get ice cream while Jake, Mia, Julie, Ian, Leo, and Alex stayed behind. 

"Wait, where am I going?" Leila said. 

Riley crossed his arms across his chest. "Back to your mom or something. I'm not hanging out with someone who hurt my friend."

"Yeah," Allie agreed. Maddie linked her arms with mine.

Leila huffed and stormed away.