Chapter 11

Allie's POV:

Leila charged at Maddie with wild eyes. Danny started to step in front of Maddie but backed off when she winked at him.

Along with the rest of my class, I watched in surprise as Maddie quickly side-stepped Leila and easily pinned Leila's arms behind her back.

"If there's one thing you definitely do not do when trying to impress a boy, it's trying to attack one of his friends," Maddie said calmly.

Leila struggled against her hold. "I don't know why Danny would want to be friends with you."

"She seems cool," Danny said, shrugging. "I mean, look at how she's restraining you, I'd say that's pretty cool."

Maddie grinned. "My mom taught me this for when I'm out on the streets, alone. It's come in handy."

"Girl, you are full of surprises," I said, eyes wide.

Thre others nodded in agreement. 

"I think you can release her now, I don't think she'll try that again," Riley commented. 

Maddie let go of Leila's hands and Leila glared at her. 

"Whoa, that was awesome," Jake said, eyes wide.

"Yeah, no wonder you beat Brandon at arm-wrestling," Ian added.

Maddie laughed and took a bow.

"Ugh," Leila shrieked and walked away.

"Oh, here are the swimsuits we bought," Cameron said, pulling out a bag. She passed them out.

"Okay, so do you want to eat lunch first, or surf first?" I asked. 

"I vote surf, that way when we get hungry, we can change into dry swimsuits and get lunch," Alex said.

We agreed. Draggin the three floats back to our stuff, we headed over to a small shack where there was a sign that said, "Rent Surfboards Here".

After we rented the surfboards, I paused. "Wait, do any of us know how to surf?"

Maddie paused. "I learned, but it's been a long time."

"I kinda know," Danny said. "I can go first if you want."

"Yeah," Cayden agreed.

We watched as Danny paddled out into the water.

#time skip#

Laughing, we trudged out of the water. 

"My board was broken," Jake protested.

"Yeah, that's why you flipped over," Maddie said sarcastically.

"Okay, so change into dry suits and meet back here?" Cameron suggested.

We nodded and split up to go change. 

Maddie's POV:

As Cameron, Allie, Mia, Julie, Alex, and I walked towards the women's room, Cameron nudged me. "So, whaddya think of Danny?"

I feigned ignorance. "What do you mean?"

Allie rolled her eyes. "You know, do you like him?"

I shrugged. "Yeah, he seems nice."

Mia groaned. 

"You're impossible," Cameron grumbled.

"I try," I said. Alex laughed.

"What about Cayden?" Julie asked quietly.

"Eh, I used to like him, but I don't think he'll ever like me back, so I stopped liking him towards the end of junior year," I explained.