Chapter 1

Maddie's POV:

Crap, I'm gonna be late... I sprinted up the steps in front of Kingston Prep, my highschool. 

Quietly opening the door, I tiptoed into homeroom. I was making my way towards my seat next to Allie, my best friend when Ms. Martin's voice cut through the room. 

"Miss Tanaka, how nice of you to join us." I winced. I liked Mrs. Martin, but she did way too good of a job making students feel guilty. I ducked my head and sat down.

Allie nudged me. "Sleep in again," she said playfully. I rolled my eyes.

Mrs. Martin continued, "As I was saying, our class has won a 2-week vacation to Canada!"

Cheers erupted throughout the classroom. "That's not all. As part of the prize, we will be seeing T&M perform LIVE!"

As the rest of the class celebrated, I met Riley's panicked gaze from across the room. Oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no...

"Maddie! Earth to Maddie! Girl, you look like you're about to barf! What's up?" Allie shook my shoulder gently.

I blinked a few times. "What? Oh, I'm fine. Just a bit dizzy, that's all," I mumbled. 

"Class, calm down! I've already contacted your parents or guardians, and all of them have approved. As I said before, we are staying in Canada for 2 weeks, so classes are cut short for all of you so that you can go home and pack. See you at 5 PM at JFK airport." As soon as Mrs. Martin finished, the class bolted out the door. 

Riley met me outside, and we started to walk home together as usual. "Madds, what are we gonna do? Everyone's gonna hate us when they figure out we're T&M!"

I rubbed my forehead. "Don't worry, we'll figure something out."

We parted ways, each heading to our separate houses.

"Mom! How could you agree to the field trip! I kept our identities from reaching America for a reason! Ugh, Riley and I are never gonna be able to lead normal lives ever again... all my friends are going to hate me," I groaned, setting my backpack down on a table.

Mom rubbed my back. "Honey, if you have really good friends, they won't care that you and Riley are famous. It's gonna be okay," she reassured me.

I sighed. "Maybe, but wouldn't you be mad if your friend has been a world-class dancer and singer the whole time you've known them?"

Mom rolled her eyes. "Again, if you have really good friends, they won't care! You aren't just a singer and a dancer, you're a good friend. Same goes for Nino."

I huffed, not wanting to admit I was wrong. "I guess."

"Great. Now, go pack for your trip," she commanded. I grinned and sprinted up to my room. Mom always managed to make me feel better.

After finishing packing and eating dinner, I called Riley. 

"Hey, so what'd your mom say?" Riley's voice floated out from my phone. 

"How'd you know I talked to my mom?" I asked, grinning. 

"Your mom always has the best advice."

I chuckled and repeated what my mom had told me. Riley was silent for a moment. "Wow. She has a gift."

"I know right? She always manages to make everything better." I laughed.

"Thanks, Maddie. 'Night." Riley hung up. I looked out my window and saw that the sky was dark. 

Throwing on my PJs, I crawled into bed and fell asleep.

Riley and I were world-class famous singers and dancers, born from nothing and working our way up. We met at a foster care home and instantly became close. My mom and dad weren't actually my mom and dad, but I loved them just the same. As he said before, Riley and I are the pop duo 'T&M'.