Chapter 10

Leila's POV: 

The nerve of that witch, thinking she can steal Cayden from me. We'll see about that! I stormed away from the group, hoping that Cayden would follow, but he stayed.

I need a plan, I thought as I walked to the small tiki-themed bar where my mom worked. 

"Hi honey, back so soon?" she asked, wiping down the counter. 

I let a small alligator tear trickle down my cheek. "Mom, there's this guy..." I started, trying to play up the sympathy. 

She set down her rag. "Aw, sweetie, what's wrong? Did he hurt you?"

I shook my head. "I really like him, but he's friends with this, this, monster! She keeps turning everyone against me, and when the guy I liked got hurt and I tried to check on him, I sat down beside her and she acted as if I broke her ankle," I wailed.

Mom hugged me. "Oh, sweetie, I am so sorry! What do you want me to do?"

I pondered that for a moment. "Do you have any advice on how to get a guy to like you?"

She sighed. "The best way is to show you belong with his friends, but. . ."

"They hate me," I finished.

She paused. "Well, you know for sure that the girl-"

"Monster," I cut in.

She let out an exasperated sigh. "You know for sure that the girl doesn't like you, but you don't know that the others hate you for sure."

"Thanks, Mom, that's perfect!" I said, darting away from the bar. 

All I have to do is make sure that her friends turn against her.

Maddie's POV:

Carrying two or three cones in each hand, we returned to the group.

"Okay, strawberry for Mia and chocolate for me," I said, handing Mia hers.

"Raspberry for me, and vanilla for Julie," Allie announced, passing Julie a cone.

"Mint chip for me, chocolate chip cookie dough for Jake," Cayden added, giving the cone to Jake.

"Cookies and cream for me, moose tracks for Ian," Riley chimed, passing Ian his ice cream.

"Birthday cake for Brandon, buttered pecan for Leo, and lemon sorbet for me," Cameron said, smoothly balancing the three cones and passing them out.

"So, what did you guys plan?" I asked, sitting down.

"Well, if we're going to stay at the beach all day, then we can rent some surfboards, maybe get some snacks, eat lunch, sandcastles, stuff like that," Leo replied. "Mia wrote it down."

Mia handed me a slip of paper. "Right now it's around ten o'clock, so we should have plenty of time."

Beach Plans:
- Surfing
- Lunch at that tiki bar
- Sandcastle contest
- Buy some stuff from nearby shops, like extra swimsuits and other water stuff :)
- Truth or Dare
- Race on the sand
- Water balloons

I scanned the list. and read it aloud. "I think the first thing we should do is to visit the store. Then we can do some surfing, change into extra swimsuits, and have lunch."

Everyone agreed. I pulled my cover-up over my head, and we walked over to the small store across the beach.

A bell jingled (is anybody else singing jingle bells in their head rn?) as we walked into the store.