Chapter 21

Alex's POV:

I kept paying close attention to Riley and Maddie over the next two days. However, I didn't spot or discover anything until the afternoon of the concert day.

I heard voices from T's room as I walked up the stairs. 

"Ugh, this is bad... there've been so many comments on the article." 

The voice sounded like Maddie, so I walked closer to the door. 

"Well, some of them are good- look at this one. 'Stop posting fake stuff- the T we know wouldn't do that!'"

Riley's voice.

"Still, there's a bunch of bad ones; 'How dare she attack that innocent boy' or 'T should be sued!'"

Wait... Cameron?

Curious, I opened the door slightly, just enough to peek inside. 

Riley, Maddie, and Cameron were huddled on the bed inside, a computer between them. 

Riley sighed. "Cam, not helping."

"At this rate, no one's gonna come to our concert!" Maddie fretted, biting her lip. 

Cameron rubbed her shoulders. "You guys are talented, I'm sure there are people out there who don't believe the blog."

Riley threw his hands up. "There are. Don't you see these comments?" he said, gesturing to something on the computer screen. 

Maddie exhaled. 

Unable to take it any longer, I pushed open the door. "What's going on?"

Cameron jumped so hard she fell off the bed and hit the floor. 

Riley's eyes widened so much his eyebrows disappeared under the brim of his ball cap. 

Maddie just froze, then started stammering, "Wh- uh, I- well- wha- w- uhmm... peanuts?"

"Really?" Cameron said from the floor, sitting up and rubbing her head. "Peanuts?" She stood up, making a big show of dusting herself off. 

Maddie looked to Riley. What do we do? her eyes seemed to say. 

"You two are T&M!" I said, breaking the silence. I pointed a finger at Maddie and Riley. 

"Well..." Riley said, his voice cracking and going up two octaves. 

Maddie sighed. "Yeah, but quiet down," she said.

"That's how you two are in such good shape," I said, lowering my voice, "and how you beat Brandon at arm-wrestling!"

Maddie nodded. 

Cameron tsked. "To be fair, I'm sort of surprised nobody figured it out. Your voices match the recordings," she said to Maddie and Riley. 

Riley tilted his head to the side. "Yeah..."

Maddie turned back to me. "Please don't tell any of the others, I'm already having second thoughts about the identity reveal," she said nervously. 

"You are?" Riley asked, surprised. He turned to her, an eyebrow raised. 

She fidgeted. "We normally don't do identity reveals, so I'm a little worried that something's gonna go wrong," she admitted. 

Cameron rolled her eyes. "Alex took it quite nicely," she commented. 

I blinked, realizing I hadn't said anything since my accusation. "Yeah, Maddie, relax, I doubt any of the group is going to freak out that much," I said.