27. Devil May Cry

(DEION)

James challenged himself while opening the metal doors to my apartment. He took off his hat throwing it on the couch the closer he got to towards the living room. He walked into the kitchen and grabbed himself a beer.

I walked in just a few moments behind him wondering why he moved in silence. He usually talks to me about almost anything he desires to speak. I guess he'll put all that sentimental thing behind him for now.

I put my gun on safe too, quietly laying it down on the kitchen counter.

"Aw Man, sweet sweet beer," James cried out in pleasure after just drinking one big gulp of Heineken. "What a great way to start off the new year folk." He gave me a pound on my hard chest. I can feel his fist rub on my chest as hit me with soft force.

"Yeah James. Happy New Year to you too" I said.

"Deion do you ever just look at the world and think why is it still the same after all these years? It's been the same bullshit since my mother pushed me out decades ago. It's the same damn thing every year. The only difference is people grow up and you know what that means?" He looked at me furrowing his brows. His lips were halfway apart as the beer almost slipped away from his fat fingers while he held on to the body of the bottle.

"Enlighten me Jamesy."

"Same old shit with new people. Same old buildings with new geniuses of this world to create some great fucking advanced technology. What am I saying? I'm just an old hag still trying to survive this broken world we live in." He turned around and tossed me a bottle of Heineken. I couldn't feel any emotion. After all, I did do the devil's work about an hour ago.

My mind was gone for just a second. My hands were feeling numb the tighter I held on to the neck of the bottle itself. My brain wasn't taking in any information as of this moment. James stood in front of me looking like a blurry x-ray vision. I never felt like this before. Why does my mind suddenly wants to turn my own internal thoughts against me.

I was still looking at James with no expression on my face. I was completely immovable standing in front of James like a dead body with opened eyes, except my heart was still feeding back blood throughout the rest of my body and all that adrenaline helped me stayed right side up. He kept drinking and drinking until he realize I was unresponsive.

"Something wrong boy?" he finally took his last sip and released the beer from his hand. The thud of the glass bottle echoed in thin air. It's the sound I kept hearing verbatim.

His voice traveled back in my ears. I can hear the vibration before his lips moved. I watched his lips suddenly, eyeing him, up, down, up, down, until he shouted my name and my eyes blinked.

"The fuck is up with you?"

"Nothing."

"The fuck you mean nothing. You look like you were heavens away from seeing God." He wiped his hands on his jeans and kept doing that until the cold water from the icy bottle dried off his hands.

"I wish."

"Did I say something I shouldn't have?"