33. The Anniversary: Tres

(ELLAH)

           I didn't say anything. I didn't reply nor did I take my eyes off of him. I looked at him slowly trying to understand what the hell just happened. Did he just confess his true feelings about me?

I remember as a child that I always wished for these things to come true. I didn't know the genie in the bottle actually granted them. Those days are long gone. It's kind of too late now genie.

He looked back at me. His face looked puzzled, emotionless. He waited for me to say something but when I didn't, his hands pulled away from mine. Instead, he turned around and rubbed the back of his head. He mumbled something under his breath when he distanced himself.

"When you said you love me, you meant that in a way of like, oh yea, that's my sister, I love you?" I tried to make the situation less awkward. He turned around with his finger on his forehead. I seemed to have pissed him off. I didn't mean to. He wasn't being specific regardless.

"Ellah," He said my name with anger. I heard the aggressive tone in his voice as he opened his mouth and my name slid out randomly. What just happened? "Ellah," He continues. "I really like you. I don't just like you anymore, there's love involved. . ." He stopped talking and ridiculously laughed at himself. He has this weird laugh. When he tried to express himself, the laugh gets higher and higher. His voice begins to squeak and he licks his lips a lot. "I know this is just out of the blue, but I'm serious."

"How could you possibly love me?"

"How could I not?" He replies."I've had these feelings since I was young. I just thought it was a little crush but then over the years the more I thought about it the more I just knew I couldn't get over you." 

"Thanks for the jokes Drew." I turned around slowly avoiding this very indescribable conversation. Before I can push a door that says pull, his hand pulled me back with force. Before I can defend myself and insult him with vulgar words, Drew had me pinned to his chest.

"I'm trying to tell you how I feel and you're completely ignoring me."

"Yea." I don't know why I said that. I had secrets of my own that I couldn't tell Drew. Run!

"Go ahead and freak out. Go out there and tell everyone, I don't care. I'm tired of walking around the house and not doing a single thing to you. Do you know how bad I want you Ellah? You don't even know. I watched you transform into this vivacious beautiful young woman. In my eyes, you're a goddess and I can't help it. I try to resist you and I've come this far with it. You always kept our relationship in a brother and sister way but I never saw it like that. You've always wanted it like that that's why I just kept my feelings hidden. I hate watching you date other guys in front of me. Do you know how much that hurts?" 

He loosened his grip on my forearm and stared intensely in my jaded brown eyes. He's being serious and I'm taking him for a joke. The thing is I can't take him seriously. Actually, when I knew I had a zero percent chance with Drew at the time I did like him a lot, I knew none of my fairy tales would come true, but now reality is hitting me and I don't know how to cope with it.

I nodded my head, quickly, responding to his question. He carried on explaining himself.

"It hurts me a lot. It hurts so much that sometimes I don't know how I will ever live with myself. I'm incomplete without you. I need to be around you. You're the only one I know who understands me Ellah. We have this unbreakable bond that can never crack. It is very strong. Only you and I have that bond." He creeped me out for a second. He sounded like one of those creepy lovers who'd jump a bridge when you don't return their calls.