4. Commemoration

(Ellah)

For some reason, my mind kept going over the day before. It was like time was trying to make me remember that I might have been finding some kind of interest in that guy. I kept thinking about his scent. He smelled fresh and clean, and I wanted to bury him in my arms and fondle him like a long lost lover. Who knew that a guy with a soul so captivating could have so much rage?

I was sitting on my rooftop, eating chocolate-covered strawberries and getting lost in my thoughts. It was noon, and I was still daydreaming about Drew's attractive friend.

I had forgotten that I was still texting Emily. My phone was vibrating nonstop on my bed. Suddenly, my phone began to ring loudly, snapping me out of my daydream. I quickly jumped through the window into my room and answered the call.

"Turn on your TV!" Emily said excitedly.

"What happened?"

"You're not going to believe this."

"What happened?" I repeated.

"You're on television!" Emily screamed.

I started flipping through the channels as fast as I could, anxious to catch my performance. My dance was there, as well as some of the highlights from the competition.

"Oh my God, there are Chris and August!"

"I heard that next year they're going to book Kim Kardashian."

"Let's just pray I pass the next competition."

I rubbed my hands together biting my bottom lip. Before I could turn the volume down, Drew burst into my bedroom, looking rather sharp. His attire was extremely formal, as if he was ready to go on a date at a five star restaurant. I rarely see Drew in a suit and tie, but when he does dress up, he looks gorgeous.

"Mom called, and she said to get dressed," he said, walking over to my armoire and spritzing himself with one of my Chanel perfumes.

"One, you could've asked. Two, knock before you enter. Three, why?"

"Lonnie's birthday?"

So many things had happened the other day that I had completely forgotten my own father's birthday. What kind of daughter was I?

"I'm so stupid," I said, jumping off the bed and going to my closet to find a suitable outfit.

"I don't know, you're just like that by nature," he said, smiling as he sat on the edge of my bed. "He's having a little get together, and he'd like for all of us to be there, Ellah."

I sniffed him, relishing the scent of my Chanel perfume. For once in his life, he looked presentable, and I didn't have a single negative comment.. There was finally peace in the air. I knew that he felt it too, because he even moved himself towards the center of my bed, trying to help me decide on the perfect dress to wear. He got up, brushing his fingers some of the dresses. Just as I thought he was going to pick out something that covered me, he pulled out the exact opposite.