Chapter 14: Betrayals

"Betrayal is the only truth that sticks."

                                                     -Arthur Miller

Jung Hoseok's eyes were narrowed as he stared down at the liquid in his cup, his hands twirling it absentmindedly.

It was late.

Very late.

You'd been gone all day long...but he was sure you could handle yourself.

He honestly couldn't have asked for a better situation.

He'd been searching out a way to take down those god awful sirens. In fact, he had been craving their destruction for many years, waiting for the right way to kill each and every one of them slowly--painfully.

Then he saw that mark on your finger.

And it all fell into place.

He'd never seen a Mating Mark before...at least, not in person. He'd read about them in books and seen many drawings of them. He knew what they meant and what they were capable of.

If one of the true sirens marked you, that made you valuable...extremely valuable.

You'd die, he was aware of that...but, in the grand scheme of things, that seemed like a small sacrifice.

He just needed you to trust that he was going to protect you. He needed you to trust him.

He was certain that would be a difficult feat.

You didn't seem to trust anyone. Not the captain and not Hoseok.

This mark did provide him with a bit of influence, though. You didn't know anything about what it would truly do if the two of you were separated. He was the only one you'd be able to talk to about it....which meant that you had to believe what he said...even just a little.

And he would be sure to use your ignorance to his advantage.

If one of the true sirens were to die...it would wipe out one-seventh of the siren population...

Once word got around to the other six brothers, they'd come to hunt down Hoseok...and he would be ready...Having them all together in the same place would make killing them much easier...he'd wipe out the entire siren race. 

And he'd use you to do it.

His eyes snapped up from his drink at the sound of the Inn door opening.

You walked inside, blue eyes instantly falling onto Hoseok's figure as you closed the door behind you.

The green-eyed man couldn't read you, your face remaining completely neutral as you stared at him.

He had once questioned how you'd become so good at hiding your thoughts...but, he decided that not knowing would make it easier to kill you.

He didn't want to grow attached.

Ignorance, in this case, was bliss.

"Jimin told me that you'd decided to go exploring." He started cautiously, eyeing you as you slowly walked closer.

You shrugged your shoulders, eyes never leaving his form as you sat across from him.

"I needed air after what happened." You stated, studying him.

He hummed in acknowledgment, gently placing his drink down on the table.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" He asked softly, moving his hand to rest over your own. "This mark means that it's only a matter of time before that siren finds you...going out alone is quite foolish."