Chapter 26: Walls

"You are confined only by walls you build yourself."

                                               -Anonymous

Your blue eyes were narrowed as you stared down at the garment placed before you. 

It seemed to be some sort of traditional dress that held some kind of great importance to these people. Although you respected the difference of cultures, you had no intention of wearing something that could hardly be described as clothing at all. 

The first "garment" was made up of shells from  the ocean and even a few stones. The shells seemed to be sewn onto a material that almost resembled burlap. If you were to dawn the clothing, it would scarcely cover your chest area. The bottom was a skirt that appeared to be made of palm, shells lining the waist. 

A head dress rested beside the clothing that had been laid out for you. A small ringlet of wooden vines were woven together, a small gem hanging from the center. 

When you first came back to the small tent that had been assigned to you, you took instant notice of the countless offerings that had been placed in front of the entrance. Fruits, dead fish and even a few shells had been stacked up in a neat fashion and had been waiting for your return. 

You'd simply stepped over them and walked into the tent. You wouldn't take anything from these people. They saw you as a god. Taking anything from them would only serve to feed their beliefs. They clearly had prayers and desires that they had wished you to fulfil. Showing any kind of favor to the gifts would have them believing that you could fix their problems. 

You didn't want to give anyone false hope. 

"My goddess, are you dressed yet?"

You sighed, pulling your hair over your shoulder, beginning to braid it from the top. 

"Come in, Alon."

The dark-skinned man pushed the flap back, entering into the small tent. 

His brown eyes filled with confusion as his eyes scanned over your figure. He clearly expected to find you in the clothing he'd laid out for you. 

"My goddess, you've not dawned the garments yet?"

You shook your head, continuing to braid your hair. 

"I have no need to wear something like that," You explained, "Save them for a real goddess. I am expecting to leave this island within the day."

His eyes widened at your words, not expecting such frankness from you. 

"My goddess! You cannot--"

You huffed out, allowing your hands to fall from your hair in frustration. Your h/c locks fell to frame your face, blue eyes glimmering. 

"Alon, look at me. I am not a goddess. I am simply a human woman. I've honestly no idea why you believe otherwise. I have no divine powers, I only have two things; determination and anger. Neither of those things will serve whatever purpose you and your people have. I am sorry, but that is the the way of things."

Alon's dark eyes softened on your form, moving forward to stand closer to you. 

"May I touch you?"

Your eyes snapped up to his, brows raising in slightly confusion. 

You studied him for a moment. 

"Yes."

Alon smiled, moving to stand behind you. 

You almost let out a sound of surprise as his hands raked through your hair, fingers pulling the h/c strands away from your face as he began to pick up where you left off, braiding your locks.