Chapter 25: Islands II

"The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder."

                                                          -Ralph W. Sockman

A soft groan left your lips as your brows furrowed, pain shooting through your head as you tried to find the will to open your eyes. 

Raising your hand to your aching head, you slowly sat up, eyes finally opening, flinching at the bright sunlight that streaked in through the curtains surrounding you. 

Your mind instantly flashed back to the memories of the night prior. You remembered sailing for the island, the storm coming upon the ship, the pulling of the waves...Your body falling from the deck, the water filling your lungs. 

Your body tensed at the memories, instantly becoming alert of your surroundings. 

You were in some sort of tent, animal furs were laying atop the wooden skeleton of the structure, a small cloth serving as the entry way. 

You looked around you, hands searching your body for the weapons you'd stored on your person. 

They were gone. 

You were unarmed now. No pistol. No blade. Nothing. 

Panicking would be unwise.

You allowed yourself to take a deep breath. You appeared to be alone in the tent, which was definitely an upside, but you would not get your hopes up too high. 

If you were in a tent, you were sure there was someone who had built it...friend or foe, you wouldn't know. 

Throwing the fur blanket off of you, you moved backwards, hands grabbing one of the many sticks that held the tent together. You snapped it in the middle, smiling at the sharp point on the end. 

This would be as good a weapon as any. 

Now, all you had to do was wait. 

You spent a few more minutes in the tent, shoving a few blankets underneath the fur you'd been sleeping under as you took shelter in the back of the tent, blue eyes narrowed as you waited for someone to enter. 

You did not have to wait for too long, body tensing as the curtain was pulled backwards, a tall, dark-skinned man entering with a bowl of steaming substance. 

You watched as he kneeled beside the pallet, placing the bowl aside before folding his hands in a prayer-like fashion. 

You frowned in confusion, brows furrowing as you watched him whisper a silent prayer before placing his hands on what he believed to be you. 

"My goddess," He mumbled softly, "It is time for you to arise. You must eat."

Goddess?

He frowned in confusion as the lack of response from what he believed to be you.

You shot forward as he pulled the blanket back, taking him fully by surprise. 

You wrapped your arm around his throat, shoving the sharp end of the stick into the crevice below his jaw, drawing a little blood. 

He swallowed hard, eyes full of fear. 

"Goddess--"

"Where am I?" You interrupted, whispering in a commanding tone. "How did I get here?"

"Y-You are on the Lost Island, my goddess. The sea sent you to us after the storm."

Your brows furrowed.