Chapter 15: Taverns

"There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern."

                                                    -Samuel Johnson

Two hours earlier...

Your eyes were narrowed in disgust as you tip toed around the restless crowd of drunk men that filled the small building in which you now stood, nose curling up at the stench that radiated off of them. 

You had originally considered this to be a good idea. Go into a bar, get a drink to help you get through whatever was happening as soon as you stepped back into the outside world. Simple. Elegant. 

But, as you looked out at the sea of sweaty pirates, your stomach churning in discomfort, you could see just how poorly mistaken you actually were. 

Deciding that it would be best to leave, you turned on your heel, ready to begin the tiring walk back to the front of the tavern. 

A small 'oomph' left your lips as your body came into contact with someone else's harshly, the sound of liquid splashing filling your ears before you had time to react. 

You blinked in surprise as you stared at the large man in front of you, his bald head glistening beneath the dim candle light of the bar in which you both stood. 

The collision had caused his ale to spill, some of it splashing onto his sweat-stained shirt, some of it falling onto the wooden floor beneath you but most of it found it's way onto your shirt, the smell of strong alcohol wafting through your nostrils. 

Nasty. 

A silent apology left your lips, head bowing slightly before you tried to walk around him. 

His hand shot out, blocking your path as he glared down at you with darkened eyes. 

"Where do you think you're going?" He gritted angrily.

You resisted the urge to roll your eyes, instead opting to point towards the exit. 

"Out." 

His brows shot up at your deadpanned words, anger beginning to show on his face. 

"You think I'd just let you leave after what you did?" He snapped, slurring his words. "You've spilled my drink and ruined my favorite shirt! You must repay me!"

You sighed heavily, shoulders slumping. 

There was always a guy like this, wasn't there?

"Your shirt was already ruined." You stated. "It stank of sweat and desperation."

His brows furrowed. 

"What did you-"

"As for the matter of paying you back, I'm afraid I do not have any money." You continued. "I already apologized. Let us be mature and leave it at that, shall we?"

The look on his face told you that he clearly wasn't expecting you to be so bold about your response....either that or he didn't fully comprehend the 'big words' that you had just used. 

"You'll not be leaving until I'm repaid, lass." He growled, hand gripping your upper arm and pulling your face towards his. "In coin or deed."

Your face remained neutral as you stared at him, the stink of his breath almost causing your eyebrows to fall off.

"I will be leaving." You deadpanned, more annoyed than scared. "With or without having broken your nose."

His eyebrows jumped at that, a loud, boisterous laugh escaping him as he glanced around to the crowd that had begun to watch the scene unfold with piqued interest.