Chapter 1: Distractions

"Freedom from mental distraction equals power."
                                                      -Dan Millman

Disclaimer: The cover of the book may not reflect the male lead. I am going to be changing out between members every now and then and eventually I will reveal the lead. ❤️

"Who is she?"

You let out a deep breath of air as your body slowly began to be pulled back into consciousness. Your head throbbed in pain and your limbs were sore for an unknown reason.

God, you really hated this part.

"How am I supposed to know?"

Another voice snapped back.

"How do you think she got here?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe pirates brought her hoping to sell her off?"

A soft groan left your lips as your eyes slowly fluttered open, body beginning to fully awaken.

You could feel your entire body being swayed around in a rocking fashion as you carefully raised a hand to rub your aching head.

"She's awake."

"Yeah. I can see that."

Your gaze slowly moved around the room, brows furrowing in confusion as you took in your surroundings.

You were currently in some sort of jail cell. The walls around you were made entirely of some kind of stone and the floor you were laying on was damp and cold, which led you to believe that wherever you were, water was nearby.

"Just once I'd like to be conscious when I go to another world." You whispered to yourself.

"What are you muttering about, wench?"

Your eyebrows jumped at the title, eyes raising to meet those of the an on the other side of the iron bars.

You didn't recognize this man. His hair was a light shade of blond and his emerald green eyes were dark and cold as he stared right back at you, hand resting comfortably on his sword.

They must be some kind of soldiers.

"Where am I?" You husked, throat sore.

The other guard laughed, his silver hair shining beneath the small amount of sunlight that shone in from the window in your cell.

This guard was an older man with a kind face, he was a little bit shorter than the man beside of him, but something about him told you that he was highly respect, especially because of the golden cape that hung from his armor.

"You must have drank  quite a bit." He mused. "You're in the capital, young one."

You groaned out, resting your head in your hands.

That was not at all helpful.

"Why am I in a cell?" You asked, wiping off your robes before standing up.

The younger guard sneered at you.

"We found you laying on the shore." He stated. "And we don't tolerate drunks-"

"We tried waking you, but you didn't respond." The older man stated softly. "We brought you back here to make sure that the waves didn't pull you back into the ocean."

You offered the older man a smile of appreciation.

"Thank you." You mused. "But, as you can see, I am fully awake now and ready to go back into the real world, so if you could just open the door, I'll be on my-"