Chapter 30: Sacrifice

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal."

                                                                -Albert Pike

Sounds of celebration roared through the night air. 

The sound of singing and laughter were even louder than the fiddle being played or the dancing feet on the wood of the large deck. 

The crew celebrated you once again. They drank to your courage and leadership. They called you captain and queen of the pirates. For once, you'd felt as though you'd actually earned their respect. 

Yes, they congratulated you on your feats with the mermaids, but one win does not a captain make and you knew that. 

However, sparing them from a fate of heart-eating cannibals definitely seemed to do the trick. 

They all pledged themselves to you. 

The celebration was to be remembered as one of the happiest days of the men's lives. They'd go home and tell their families of their encounters with the man-eaters and the brave, woman captain who had come to save them--who fought alongside them with rigor. 

You'd become a legend. 

But you didn't care. 

You didn't feel happy or victorious. 

You didn't join in the festivities. 

You didn't drink. 

You simply stared out of the inky waters below, resting on the railing of the ship as the rest of the crew made merry. 

"It's done. Your love for man...you've overcome it. And-And now you are truly ready for your ascension...no longer human."

You turned your head to the side as if the action would somehow make Multa's voice fade away or, at least, quiet down. 

"I'm not in the mood to talk."

Jungkook paused in his actions as he attempted to approach you, two mugs of rum in his hands. 

You'd heard him coming. 

He sighed, ignoring your protest and placing the mug on the railing. 

"You don't need to feel guilty," He stated softly, "What happened on the island was not your fault."

You'd nearly forgotten that he felt everything you did.

How annoying. 

Sharing feelings with someone only served to make things complicated. 

Why couldn't you just brood in peace?

Your eyes darted down to Jungkook's now bandaged hand, then back to the cut on your own. 

"Everyone says that we won," You mumbled, "They say that what happened on the island was a victory."

A scoff escaped your lips. 

"It felt more like a slaughter."

"We lost men too, Y/n," He reasoned, "The men were defending themselves."

"Defending themselves from people who worshipped me. All of this was because they believed I was the answer to their prayers. They were fighting for me."

Jungkook's brows furrowed at your words, his bandaged hand covering your own.

"You could not help what they believed."