Chapter 4

December 23, 2001 Tampa Bay, Florida
LILI'S POV
Two new things I've learned about Nick when he's wasted. One. He can actually hold his liquor, and doesn't throw up.

Sort of concerning, because I didn't want the alcohol to linger in his body. Two. He says a lot of dirty things. He was getting home every night now, late and drunk. Brian and Leighanne were coming tomorrow from Georgia for a week.

Currently, it was two in the morning, and Nick was on the bed, drunk, while I was washing his clothes to get the alcohol smell off.

"Your legs are kinda like an Oreo." Nick remarked, smirking.

"Huh?" I turned around. That made no sense.

"I just wanna split them open and lick everything inside." Nick grinned, wasted. I held in the urge to laugh. But, I ignored his semi clever joke and went back to the laundry.

"Do you know how life is like a penis?" Nick asked. I turned toward him. I figured it was another dirty joke. I was about to answer, "because it short?"

But I assumed Nick was referring to his own, which was nowhere near short.

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"Because women make it hard for no reason." he giggled, drunk. I rolled my eyes. I went back to filling the laundry machine.

After I turned it on, I sighed and sat down on the bed. Waiting for Nick to come home from whichever bar he went to has seriously messed up my sleep schedule. I was nocturnal now.

"Why are you sad? Don't be sad." Nick scooted over and put his arms around my waist. I kissed his head.

"Nick, why do you come home so late now? What are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm at the bar, having a good time. It's fun." Nick answered, stretching.

"Okay." I covered my face. I didn't know what to do. This wasn't right. A tear slowly fell down. I stood up from the bed.

"Nick, I don't know if I can keep doing this." I admitted. I was about to go on, but he didn't let me finish. Still wasted, he stood up as well and dropped to his knees and held my hands.

"You're not breaking up with me, are you?" he asked, his blue eyes starting to water slightly.

"I'm not, it's just-" I began, but Nick cut me off again.

"Cause if you are, I don't think I could handle it. Please don't." he pleaded. I mentally sighed.

"Nick, I'm not breaking up with you." I pulled him up to his feet.

"I'm just saying I can't keep waiting for you every single night just for you to come home this late. I can't do it anymore." I turned away. "Maybe living together isn't the best idea right now." That seemed to sober him up right away.

"No, please. Don't leave me. I'll stop. I won't go to the club anymore, just please don't leave me. I love you, I can't live without you. Please." Nick begged.

My heart broke at how desperate he sounded.

"I don't know Nick." I looked at the floor.

"Just give me one more chance. That's all I'm asking." Nick lifted my face with his index finger. "Just one more." he leaned in and kissed me passionately. I melted into it, he always had this effect on me.

When he pulled away, he looked at me for an answer. I nodded.

"One more chance. But that's it."

Nick heaved a sigh of relief. "Thank you. I won't disappoint you. I promise." he kissed my hand. I tried my best to smile.

"Come on, let's take a shower to get warm." Nick ushered me into the bathroom where we undressed and went into the shower together.