Chapter 29

July 24, 2005 Beverly Hills, Los Angeles
NICK'S POV
"In September Nick? You sure you don't need anymore time? There's no rush, you know." Howie said.

I smiled. "Come on Howie, I've waited long enough, don't you think? Plus, the wedding planners are really good, and they planned a five million dollar wedding in a month before. I'm sure this is like baby work."

Howie didn't look convinced. "If you say so."

But then he perked up. "So. Has she got the dress yet?"

"She's at the store now actually, for that." I chucked. "Should I go join?"

Howie widened his eyes. "That's bad luck Nick. Jesus. Can't you wait?"

"Nope." I grinned.

"Anyways." Howie rolled his eyes. "What's the theme?"

My face lit up. "You know, a September beach wedding. Not too hot and not too cold. It's perfect. But neutral colors though."

Howie nodded. "Who's Lili choosing as her maid of honor?"

"She chose Britney." I answered. "Actually Howie, I wanted to talk to you about this. You really helped me over my time during rehab and you always gave me a call and visited me when I needed it most. Would you be my best man?"

Howie broke into a large smile. "I would be happy to do that."

"Thanks man." I leaned back on the railing.

"No problem. How long is the honeymoon gonna be?"

"A month." I moved my hair away from my face. "Just enough time for that and to go back on tour."

"A month in Hawaii huh?" Howie poked my arm playfully. "What are you gonna be doing with that month?"

I grinned sheepishly. "You already know what I'm going to be doing. Lili wasn't lying when she told me I wasn't getting anything until the wedding."

Howie laughed, but it was good-natured. "Oh Nick. Trust me, being married is crazy, but it's amazing when it's the right person."

"I know. And she is the one. Took me longer to realize, but better late than never as I've heard."

Howie rested his forearm on the rail. "You know how you said you didn't even think of marriage at all before, even when you two were dating way back in the nineties?"

I nodded. "Yeah." Then I grimaced. "Why are you referring to the nineties as if it was so long ago?"

"Time goes by fast Nick. Before you know it, the nineties will be like fifteen years ago buddy." Howie said.

"Fifteen years." I mused. "I'll be like forty. I think." Then I paused. "Do you think we'll still be together in fifteen years? I know I've asked this a lot though."

Howie took a deep breath. "I don't know. But even if we don't, I hope we still stay in touch."

"Me too." I looked at the setting sun. "You guys are literally my best friends. Only God knows were I would be right now if I hadn't joined the group. I'd grown up and probably still be that addict I was."

Howie put a hand on my shoulder. "You've grown up Nick. You're not that little thirteen year old kid anymore, and you've been doing really well. I think that's something that keeps us going. We have something most groups don't. Real brotherhood."

"Just so you know, if I could rejoin the group all over again, I'd do it." I looked at Howie. "One of the best things to ever happen to me."

Howie smiled. "Me too Nicky."