Chapter 20

March 29, 2003 Beverly Hills, Los Angeles
KEVIN'S POV
"So the new court date is in a week, right?" Britney asked, over the phone.

I nodded. "Yeah. The judge was Kenneth's father, so we can get a new date."

Britney sighed in relief. "Thank god. Okay Kevin, I gotta go, but call me if anything alright?"

"Sure. Bye." I hung up and released my own sigh of relief. Lili would definitely be out of jail in a week.

One worry out of the way. I entered the coffee shop and ordered a latte, sitting down at a table while waiting for my order.

When it came, I paid and was about to leave, but I saw the news paper on a rack.

I grabbed one and exited the coffee shop, and sipped my coffee while reading it.

Nick Carter is at it Again: The Twenty three year old pop star seen in a strip club, leaving with ex lookalike.

Nick? In a strip club? I looked at the photo, where it showed Nick drinking with a blonde girl on his lap. A guy next to him was kissing a brunette.

I squinted. The guy next to him looked familiar.

It was Chris, his friend.

I made a face. I never liked Chris at all, he seemed to have a terrible influence on Nick, and Nick was incredibly vulnerable.

I finished my coffee and headed for Nick's house, pissed off.

I pulled up and saw Chris opening the front door with keys.

Nick's keys. And Nick was nowhere to be seen.

My anger rose and I got out of the car and went straight to the front door.

"Open up!" I started banging on the door.

"What the hell?" I heard.

"Open the door Chris! And where's Nick!" I yelled, still pounding on the door. A few seconds went by.

"...and he's pissed man." I heard Chris' voice say.

Like I had done with AJ's hotel room door a few years ago, I backed up and kicked down the door.

"Holy shit." Chris stared at the door, which was wide open now.

"Where the hell is he?" I barged into the house.

"He's not here man." Chris held up his hands.

"Bullshit. Tell me where he fucking is." I grabbed Chris' shirt.

"Dude, I really don't know! All I know is that the blonde girl took him somewhere!"

"What blonde girl?" I spoke through clenched teeth.

Chris shrugged frantically. "I don't know! The one from the club! Jenny was her name I think?"

"Kevin!" Nick came running through the door. His clothes were all rumpled and wet with sweat and so was his hair and his face was flushed, lips swollen, marks on his neck.

"Nick, what the hell?" I released Chris, who stumbled back. "What the fuck have you been doing?"

"Just clubbing. Why?" Nick looked at his door, that was wide open and creaking.

"You're all over the damn tabloids again." I waved the paper in his face.

His face fell. "Again? Jesus, I swear the paparazzi have nothing better to do."

I rolled my eyes. "That's not the point Nick. The point is that you're on here in the first place for this? A strip club? I don't recognize you Nick. I mean, I know you've always been really interested in girls, but this..." I trailed off. "I'm disappointed Nick. You're better than this."