TWENTY

•••Read previous chapter to stir clear of doubts before this one

Nothing more than an aspiring prisoner was i. To reach the level of his unbothered status kept me occupied- not a huge fan of being locked up in cell, I kept my gaze fixed on him as he stared at the ceiling with his head nestled to the uneven wall he sat by.

Both on ground, alone and jostling with our thoughts- had been since past hour. Then I spoke- breaking my ego into two- I ask him-

"What kind of idiot are you?"

No reply- not for the moment. But he reacted with a tilt of his neck to watch me. The single warm white bulb by the window buzzed. The light had a static- and I could bet that our possible conversation too.

"I wouldn't have been so selfless if I were you" I state- he chuckled. So smooth and gripping that I exhaled from my mouth. His hair began to perm and restyle itself by the constant wise he ran his fingers through them. Almost curtaining his forehead. He did it once more- pushing them back to its place, but with the force he did it- they stayed right where he probably wanted it to be. Out of his face.

"so now you won't talk to me?" rubbing my hands I pulled at my jacket sleeve. He looked away- resuming his roof gazing. Then it fell again-

Silence.

For a hefty moment I believed this was how the night would end.

But-

"You did more than what you could've done for me"

My breath caught- my mouth, dry. I saw him fold the sleeve of his shirt to his forearms and rest one against his right knee which was propped up.

How could he be so casual about This?

"what-" my voice was in the verge of giving up when he shifted to look at me, so dead in eye that i found my strength somehow "-What did I do?"

He- instead of a rejoinder to my hanging query, got on his feet and walked to me. Drawing whole of my diligence towards him- until he closed the distance and sat next to me. With his back to my side of wall- our shoulders grazed and our eyes met. He didn't look away as he took my frozen cold hand in his warm ones and wrapped his fingers around them.

"It's the cold first" he squeezes the grasp gently, "then it's the burns" pausing to breath- breath as if he was filling the courage in him with the air he inhaled "then anger and confusion. Everything together that it might whisper you to give up or just give up being so humane"

His other hand reached out to my cheek, caressing the side of my face with his calloused thumb. I watched him with big eyes, afraid and in wonder.

"Don't ever believe that there is something wrong with you. They are not disorders- they are just there until they are entirely gone from your system. Just a little patience and it will all be over"