dance // 4

The new Greenie had just come up, and the Gladers were holding a bonfire to celebrate. You always liked the bonfires, they were so bright and colourful. You didn't participate though. You just didn't know how to get in there, fit in the way everyone else did. A guitar had been sent up with the supplies a few weeks before, and someone was playing it now, softly and beautifully. It was probably instinctive, the way they strummed the chords on the instrument. Like you knew how to run, and climb and cook and sing. You didn't know where the words came from. You didn't even remember learning any words at all. But they always came. The half memories you knew everyone had.

Someone plopped down beside you, and you looked over to see Newt. His blonde hair was mussed, and he was smiling lightly at you. "Having fun?" you shrugged. "Yeah, I guess." you looked away, eyes trained on the entrancing dance of the fire. You felt him stand beside you and he cleared his throat. You turned and saw that his hand was extended. You stared at it in wonder. After a moment, you took it, and he pulled you to your feet.

Slowly, he brought you closer to the fire, right in the centre of everyone. The music grew louder, and you started swaying to it with him. Soon you were dancing, both in perfect sync with each other. He was so deft, and you were surprised that you were as well. You knew everyone had stopped and was staring. Maybe because none of them had girls to dance with, or maybe because it was so strange.

You rested your head on his shoulder and wrapped your arms around his waist. It felt so good, being with him like that. He entwined his fingers with yours, and spun you over and over until you got dizzy. You started laughing, and almost fell onto the ground but he caught you.

"Don't worry love, I've got you," and he pulled you back up. Your eyes were clouded, the only thought on your mind was him. Everyone else in the Glade disappeared. The Maze disappeared. The fire disappeared. It was just you and him, and you leaned in and pressed your lips ever so carefully to his. You pulled away, pressing your forehead to his, and looked into his eyes. They were gorgeous. He brushed strands of your hair behind your ear. "God, Y/N, you are so beautiful," and then he pulled you to him, his lips moving with yours in perfect time.

He tasted sweet, and you wanted to live in that moment forever. You heard a few wolf whistles from the boys around you, but you just ignored them. His hand skimmed up and down your back, sending little thrills of electricity through you. Finally, he separated himself from you, taking in your face. he hugged you, and you into him, every single trouble in the world melting away.

You stayed that way for a long time.

A/N: Decided to stick to something short and sweet. I'm working on some more so I'll hopefully be updating soon. Love ya.