sent up // 17

A/N: I know some of these facts don't line up but whatever. Bare with me.

"I don't want you to leave. Not like the rest of them," your eyes were filling with tears, and they were starting to trail down your face. For the past year kids had started going missing, and whenever you would ask the adults about it they were vague and disorienting. Some of your best friends had disappeared.

When you were walking down one of the poorly lit hallways, your hands running gentle along the walls, you'd overheard two people talking quietly. They spoke about something called the Maze Trials, and how Newt was the next to be sent up.

You realized sent up meant taken away. Away from you and everyone.

And you couldn't lose him, not after everything else you'd lost. Your house, your family, your world. He was one of the only things in this compound that made you smile, and without him you would flicker out like an old light bulb.

Newt's hand came up to brush the tears from your cheeks. "It'll be okay love. You don't have to worry about me." You closed your eyes, just wishing that if everything was dark enough that it would just cease to exist. Your problems would evaporate like water in the sunlight. But after a moment you reluctantly opened to see his brown eyes staring into yours, unwavering.

"But, we don't know what comes next. We don't even know what these Maze Trials are." You shook your head. Newt didn't say anything for a moment, he just watched you. He was good at hiding his emotions. Because he knew, he knew, that if he cracked the way you were cracking that you would both be completely lost. Newt was your glue: he was the only one that could keep you together.

And right then, you felt like every part of you could fall apart. As if you were some sort of junk Barbie that needed re-assembling.

He pressed a warm kiss to your temple, and your breathing evened out. His long arms came to wrap around your waist, pulling your body against his. He sat you both down on the bed beside you "I love you Y/N. Never forget that, okay? And I promise you I will never stop loving you the way I love you right now."

"How is it that you love me right now?"

His hand came up to run through your hair. "I love you the way the ocean loves the land. No matter how far away the ocean could possible stray, it always comes back. And the land always welcomes him back. And the ocean is always thankful for her generosity and heart."

You were memorizing the way his felt felt on your skin, the way he spoke; his voice so soft and comforting. The smell of his clothing, and the lull of his words. The way his chest rose and fell as his spoke, his breaths tickling the back of your neck.

"The land was so beautiful and full of wonder, and the ocean was never sure if he could make her happy. But the land found wonder in the ocean as well, and he was eternally grateful. A part of them was always connected, even when their minds wandered elsewhere. They had grown to become part of each other" you squeezed your eyes shut, but said nothing. "The ocean wanted to give the land everything he possessed. But he didn't have much. So he gave her his undying devotion, and she accepted it, the way she accepted the rest of him."

His voice faltered for a moment, and he paused to regain his calm stature. "I love you with my whole heart Y/N." You turned your head back up to look at him.

"I... I love you too. You're my ocean. You're my everything," you leaned forward and pressed your lips tenderly to his. His hand came up to cup your cheek, and your kiss intensified. You kissed him like the world was ending. And the world was ending: it had been for years.

Once you'd pulled away, you lay back on the bed you'd been sitting on, the sheets crinkling beneath your weight. Newt's body shifted so it was beside yours, and he carefully pulled the blanket up to cover you both.

Your mind went over the story he'd told you as you drifted to sleep, his arms keeping you safe from all the monsters that threatened to eat you alive. The warmth from his body radiated through you, and you felt peaceful. The world went foggy, draining away like rain drops on a window pane.

~

You woke with a start, and turned beside you to see that Newt was already gone.

A/N: Gushy mushy sadness. Lets just pretend Newt got sent up when he was like 17 or 16 or whatever, and he wasn't one of this first people there. Okay? Awesome. How are you guys? I'm doing okay. I'm really tired - I've been packing my days pretty full. And soon I'm going camping. Anyways, what'd you guys think? I really enjoy and appreciate your feedback!!! <3