sacrifice // 13

A/N: Hey guys! Been a while. This was requested by @babybluewrites SORRY I TOOK SO LONG. I hope you enjoy it!

You bit your lip, trying not to cry. It had been almost a week since you and your boyfriend Newt had exchanged more than a few words. He was always busy, keeping order and working hard. But he'd always worked hard, he'd always kept order, and he'd always made time for you. But not any more.

After you had finished dinner alone yet again, you put away your plate, and decided to walk through the woods. As you got up to leave, you spotted your boyfriend smiling at you. His eyes were sparkling with intelligence and laughter, and you felt every crevice, every corner, every crack of your heart melt. But you just pushed past him, your gaze as cold as stone.

"Y/N?" you could hear him calling after you, and your pace quickened until you were running, away from him and everyone and everything.

Even though Newt's limp slowed him, he somehow managed to catch up, grabbing your arm. 'Now he notices me' you think.

"Y/N? Y/N, stop. What's wrong? Will you just bloody-" you whirled around, snapping your wrist from his grasp.

"Nice of you to finally acknowledge my existence," you said sarcastically. After your small triumph at the hurt on his face your voice softened "it's been so long Newt. So long since you paid attention to me. Made me feel special."

Realization dawned on his face "I'm so sorry, love. I'm so so sorry..." You didn't doubt he meant it. He was the sincerest person you knew. But at that point it didn't matter anymore, because you already felt a million miles away from him.

"I just..." Your lips started trembling as you came to terms with what you were about to do "I don't think this is going to work out."

"What? No! Y/N, don't say that. Please. Please don't," he took a step towards you but you only backed away, your arms wrapped around your self. He looked so distraught and you had to physically keep yourself together, even as warm tears cascaded down your cheeks. "I'll change, I swear I will. I'd tear the bloody world down for you, please don't leave me. I'll try harder, I will."

At that point you both knew nothing would change your mind. But Newt begged anyways. You shook your head "goodbye Newt," and your heart shattered as you turned away from the one person you loved most in the world.

You knew that as you walked away, you were leaving a part of yourself behind. The only part of you that had ever been happy.

~

"Thanks for making my best friend deeply unhappy, shuck face," your brother Minho sat beside you on the right, and your best friend Thomas on the left. 

You bit your lip. "Shut up, Minho."

"Whatever he did can be forgiven, Y/N. Don't make the both of you miserable," Thomas said slinging an arm over your shoulders. "I know you're hurt, but he truly is sorry." You just shut your eyes, feeling a headache forming on the middle of your temple.

Before you could reply you heard yelling from across the Glade. The hair on the back of your neck stood up, as you got to your feet, Minho and Thomas behind you. You walked briskly across the dull green grass, your senses on high alert.

A boy had been stung a couple days before—your friend and fellow runner Vinny—and although he should have been in bed resting, since the Changing rendered most emotionally unstable and physically drained, he stood unevenly his shoulders rigid. But something about him was... off. Like a page of a book, old and waters stained. You can read the words, but it's blurred.

Even though the situation out you on edge, although he was screaming, although he was visibly unstable, the one solitary thing that alarmed you more than any was how he stood with a gun clasped tightly between his fingers, and it was aimed directly at your boyfriend, Newt.

Ex-boyfriend.

Newt stood with his arms in front of him, trying to calm Vinny down the way he normally did in situations such at these. He had a gentleness to him, that even when he was in danger he seemed to have no intention but helping others. His beautiful eyes were devoid of fear, and a large pit of concern bubbled in your stomach.

You couldn't believe this was happening.

Breathes barely escaping your lips, you were frozen to the spot in horror. The boy's hand shook as he pointed the gun. "Vinny, please, put the gun down," Newt said calmly, not breaking eye contact for a single second.

"No!" Vinny barked, tears running down his face. "no... I-I-I'm s-s-o-rry," his body shook with sobs "I c-c-an't stop,"

What does that mean?

"Vinny put down the gun!" Thomas yelled, but it was almost as if Vinny couldn't hear him. His hand tightened on the gun, and in that moment you knew with absolute clarity what you needed to do.

You took a deep breathe, and as the bullet shot from the small metal device you ran. A small gasp escaped your lips as you felt the bullet rip through your flesh, sending a tsunami of pain crashing across your entire nervous system. You stood in shock, staring at Vinny whose eyes looked despairing before he was tackled to the ground and your knees buckled from under you.

"Y/N!" Newt had gathered you in his arms before you had time to hit the ground. "Y/N... Oh no, Y/N, I'm so sorry," you looked up at him with glassy eyes, blood staining your skin scarlet.

You coughed, and felt a warm trickle run from your lips down your chin and neck. "Newt... I'm sorry. I... so sorry" you trailed off, your chest constricting you like a cage.

"No, don't say that love, don't apologize. Don't you dare," his hot tears were running onto your skin as he cradled you.

"Listen, even when I'm-" you sucked in a rattling breath,"even when I'm gone, I want you to know that I love you."

He rocked you back and forth "No, Y/N, you are not bloody leaving me. You're staying here. You are going to be okay... You are." You both knew that wasn't true. You clasped his hand in yours, savouring the warmth of his touch.

"Tell my brother I love him. And.. make it out of the Maze. Make it out of this place for me," your voice was growing quieter and quieter until it was barely a soft rasp.

"You're making it out of here yourself. You're... you're gonna bloody be alright..."

You smiled weakly at him.

"I love you," you whispered again softly as your vision dissolved and your skin stopped feeling.

"Y/N."

Newt held you to him as you died, his sobs echoing through the Glade. Minho and Thomas stood to the side, in shock. Nobody said a single word as Newt said your name over and over again.

\Newt never said your name again. It hurt him to even think of your face. But he never forgot what you'd told him, the way you'd sounded.

Make it out of the Maze.

A/N: GAH! I'm sorry I haven't updated, I am so busy right now it's actually insane. Hope you liked it! I have quite a few requests, and I will try to do them all as quickly as I can, but I can't promise when they'll be done. I hope you all are well! If you ever wanna talk I'm here, whether its about the latest episode of OUAT (IT WAS SO GOOD AGH) or if it's about some deep psychological things, I'm your girl.