collapsed // 12

A/N: So there are a few spoilers (TDC as you may have guessed) read with caution.

It was getting close to the time the Doors closed, and suddenly there were dark spots obscuring your vision. You tried blinking them away as your feet hit against the ground at a deafening pace, but soon they were going numb, and you couldn't see the Runners ahead of you.

It was like something in your brain had turned off, and now everything was turning off slowly, one by one. You stopped being able to see, then you stopped being able to hear, your legs stopped feeling, your chest started aching, you couldn't stand up straight, you couldn't move, you couldn't breath.

It was all gone, and soon enough your thoughts were silenced, and you couldn't even wonder if you would wake up or not.

~

"What happened?" a panicked voice rung out through the Glade.

"I don't know, she just collapsed." Minho set you down on the ground, his arms shaking from the effort of carrying you through the Maze. "Get Jeff and Clint!"

Newt knelt over you, having been at the very front of the crowd, waiting for you to come back. His face was painted with concern as he felt your pulse and tucked some loose hairs behind your ear.

"Y/N? Y/N? Can you hear me?" but you were wrapped in a thick darkness, unaware of anything.

You were brought to a room, and after hours and hours, you finally woke. Your whole body ached, like someone had extracted your bones, and you were just a pile of flesh, unable to compensate for the loss. You couldn't have moved even if you wanted to, and the pounding in your head was excruciating. You wanted to go back to sleep, but you couldn't. Your mind stayed glued to reality, even though you wanted to drift into the sweetness of sleep.

You became aware of someone sitting beside you, their head hung low. A little shock went through you when you realized it was Newt. Honey blonde hair curling around his ears, beautiful smile. But he wasn't smiling now. His shoulders were rigid, and his hands were hanging limply in front of him, his elbows resting on his knees. He looked exhausted, and you knew it was your fault.

"Newt..." your voice barely formed the one syllable, but it was enough. His head shot up, and he was looking at you with those eyes, and everything in the world fell away. He was by your bed in a heartbeat, cupping your face with his calloused hand. You smiled weakly at him.

"Hey Y/N. You're gonna be alright" his voice was soothing and his features calm. He was still trying to help you, even when he was visibly suffering because of it.

He took your hand in his, and brought it up to his mouth, kissing your knuckles. You closed your eyes, and you felt him stroking your hair, and with the comfort of his presence, you started drowning in your exhaustion. You didn't open your eyes again for a long time.

~

You woke up with a start, and you looked around you, momentarily forgetting where you were and what had happened. The healing room? You gasped as you remembered how you'd collapsed in the Maze.

You lay back down, trying to remember why you'd collapsed. You had no idea. Despite the pain you'd felt the first time you woke up, you felt good. Refreshed even. But you never felt refreshed after a sleep in the Glade, which meant you must've been asleep for longer than usual. But how long?

You stood up on unsteady legs, but managed to not fall. That was a good sign. You had more strength than you'd expected, and you had a fairly easy time changing into the clothes that were set beside your bed.