the ocean // 14

A/N: Death Cure spoilers, read with caution. I feel responsible when I accidentally spoil my readers, so I'm just gonna say it's not the page 250 spoiler. It's just a general spoiler of the ending, plus a character death. Oh, and in this world a certain somebody is Immune (as he should have been bUT NO. THANKS FOR NOTHING JAMES)

You peered across the valley, your heart still pounding as you slowly realized we made it. The Trials were over, and you were free. You hadn't felt freedom in a very long time, and the taste of it was so bittersweet. You'd lost so many, but now you had hope. A new chance for humankind, however slim.

You turned to look at the faces of your peers. Your boyfriend Newt looked grim, his honey blonde hair dusted with debris. Standing beside him was Thomas and Brenda. Thomas looked calm, his eyes betraying nothing, although you weren't sure why, considering all he had seen.

You stepped forward and wrapped your arms around Newt, burying your face in his chest. His arms automatically came up to hold you, crushing you against him with all the reassurance he could offer.

You looked up at his dirt covered face, "Newt, we made it." You still couldn't believe it. After everything you'd been through it was finally over. He laughed sadly, cupping your cheek.

"That we did, love," he smiled at you, but you could tell his mind was elsewhere. Probably running through the names of all the people who'd been killed, all the people that had fought and fought to no avail. You knew he'd lost so many friends, ones he'd known for years. You couldn't put into words how regretful you were, how sorry.

"We should head over to where Minho is, see if he needs any help," you nodded and everyone walked away from the now nonexistent Flat Trans, leading back to a world that had already fallen to ruin. A world you would never get back. A world you never truly belonged to anyways.

You tried to make pace with Thomas who had separated from everyone and was now walking slightly ahead of everyone. You finally caught up to him, and gently put your hand on his shoulder "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he replied gruffly, not looking you in the eye.

You only nodded.

Maybe you were wrong. Maybe Thomas didn't care about Teresa the way you thought he did. It had been a long time he'd looked her directly in the eye. Maybe in his eyes she was unredeemable after what she'd done in the Scorch.

Maybe.

~

Teams had been sent out to collect food, and by the time they got back you were starving. They started preparing it, and you were glad to see the glint in Frypan's eyes as he directed it all, finally back in his element.

You ate graciously, barely a word passed between you and the others. There was too much to say, and no proper way of doing so. All words would fall short to the chorus of things between you all.

Once dinner was done, you turned to your friends. "I want to go exploring," there was so much uncharted land, and you were growing restless in the rising darkness. "See what's out there."

There were murmurs of agreement, and you all stood up to leave. As you trudged through the trees, maneuvering yourself over logs and creaks, the trees started to separate. You squinted your eyes as you got closer, and your heart almost stopped as you gazed upon the beauty in front of you.

You didn't even hesitate, the cold unforgiving waves of the ocean calling to you. You knew of the ocean; everyone did. But it was just a fact in the back of your mind, a word in a dictionary, a drawing in a children's book. Never, not once in your life, had you stared down its perilous darkness with your very own eyes.

Your friends were behind you, you sensed it. None of them questioned you-they'd learned not to. They just followed in a steady pace, their footsteps silenced by the sand. A sob escaped your mouth, a sliver of joy cracking your heart in half.

You whirled around, tears streaming down your face and a huge smile on your lips. "Newt! Look at it! Look at it! It's marvellous!" you dipped your toes into the water and sighed, kicking it up around you. Your boyfriend ran to you, grinning. He scooped you up and twirled you around, the water soaking the bottom of his pants.

He pressed a kiss to your lips, sending electricity through your adrenaline soaked body. Your fingers came up to wind in his hair as you kissed, the vast beauty of the sea bringing comfort to you.

You were boundless

You were free.

Thomas behind you had gone very still, his eyes glued to the systematic pattern of the waves. But each wave crashed unpredictably, bringing a cold pleasure with it. As you looked on, you saw something in Thomas' gaze snap. He fell to his knees like a puppet whose strings had been cut, and all the joy faded from you, like a candle being extinguished.

It took a moment, but his blank expression shattered as a sob escaped his lips, echoing across the beach. Brenda looked at him in surprise as he brought a hand up to his mouth to stifle the sound, his whole body shaking. He was trying to speak, but it was barely audible through his sobs.

"...her-her eyes... they-ey were blue and reckless, just like..." his breaths came in sporadic bursts. "A...and now she's gone."

Teresa.

Brenda knelt beside him, looking lost. She kept muttering 'I'm sorry' but you could tell she didn't know what to do.

You had been wrong when you thought he didn't love Teresa anymore. He loved her even though she'd hurt him beyond believe. He loved her unwillingly-blindly. Love was strange that way. It worked mysteriously, winding so deeply into one's heart, connecting them to another. So deeply, that when fate rips them apart only shards of the person left behind remains.

The water soaked Thomas' clothes as he gripped the ground. You looked over at Newt and saw a hollow sadness reflected in his eyes, he just as helpless as any to protect his best friend from grief. You reached out your hand wove your fingers with his.

Your eyes grazed across the sights around you, and you realized that even though you were safe, you'd all be plagued for the rest of your lives-the ones to survive. The ones born with the possibility to survive. Without your immunity your sanity would have slowly unwound like a ball of yarn, until you were begging for it all to end. You had been gifted the opportunity of a new life, but you'd also been burdened with the weight of all that was left behind.

Taking a deep breath, you turned back to the water. "There's nothing we can do," you said sadly, knowing it was true. You felt your boyfriend move closer towards you.

"I know."

You stepped forward steadily, your feet numb from the icy water. You took a deep breath, gathering together all your thoughts and fears and griefs, and as you dove under the surface you let go.

A/N: I've been writing this one FOREVER. Like, really really forever. And it's so shucking short. Oops. Anyways, hope ya'lls liked it. I'm sorry if you ship Threnda, BUT THIS NEEDED TO HAPPEN. THOMAS BARELY MOURNED TERESA LIKE CMON BRO SERIOUSLY. So this is what I think SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED. Anyways (le cri) I'm working on quite a few requests right now, but I'm gonna try to fit in a few neutral (Y/N) ones, just so everyone is pleased.