up a tree // 2

It was your first week in the Glade, and you were rotating between jobs. Currently you were learning how to be a Builder with Gally, and it was not going so well.

"I swear you ain't hearin' a single shuck thing I'm sayin'!" he'd been snapping at you repeatedly, telling you to do better, but honestly you had no idea how to be better. "For fucks sake Greenie, just leave, there's no way you're being a builder."

You nodded quickly and dropped the hammer you'd been holding on the grass. Without a word you started sprinting towards the area of trees in the corner of the Glade. You didn't care if it was against the rules, you didn't care of it was filled with goddamn monsters, you just wanted to get away from it. The boys, the jobs, the Maze. The constant confusion. Unfortunately, there were huge thick stone walls caging you in, therefore the forest would have to do. Be your little escape for now.

Once you arrived you realized it wasn't much of a forest, but there were multiple thick trees in front of you, and you didn't hesitate in climbing one. Although your hands were scraped up by the rough bark, you got up surprisingly easy. Maybe you'd climbed trees a lot when you were younger.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Your life seemed to be constantly full of maybes. Putting your head in your hands, you began crying. Softly at first, and then harder, the more everything weighed down on you. You stayed in that tree, beams of light running across your skin. Your arms were wrapped tightly around your legs as you sniffled, and you would've stayed there until the very end if you hadn't heard someone approach.

A lanky boy stood underneath you, and you recognized him. He seemed to have some sort of authority in this place, because you saw him bossing kids around, trying to keep everything intact. He was there when you came up in that awful Box. Newt. You were pretty sure his name was Newt.

"Um, are you alright?" his voice had a strange accent, as thick as honey. He looked concerned it was sort of cute in the most annoying way possible.

"No."

His face was confused as he stared up at you. "I know Gally can be a pain, but you can't let it get to ya. He's like that to everyone." you just scrunched up your face, trying to hide the fact that you'd just been crying.

"Do you want to come down?"

You shook your head no "How the bloody hell did ya get up there anyhow?" He smirked like he found the fact that you in a tree very amusing.

You climbed it, obviously. "Same way anyone else would". The tightness in your chest from all the day's stress was slowly releasing as you stared upon the boy below.

He chuckled lightly, "Hate to admit it, but we don't get many climbers in these parts."

"That's unfortunate. It's a nice view up here." it really was a nice place to sit. Especially since you could finally be alone there. Constantly being stared at by boys unnerved you, the way they expected you to fail just because you were a girl. You wanted some peace and quiet, room to try and accept all the strange things that kept unfolding in front of you, no distractions like the boy below gazing up at you.

"Well, Y/N right?" you nodded, a small smile on your lips. He'd remembered your name. "Well, Y/N, it's almost dinner and you must be hungry."

You were starving. "No."

"Surely that's not true." he asked, his eyes wide, and a small smile playing on his lips.

"No I am not hungry. And I'm not coming down. So you may as well leave me to die at the whims of starvation" well, that was a little over the top... You were aware that you were being fairly immature, but you didn't exactly have a reason to act any better.

He raised his eyebrows.

"I'll be right back," he said, waving his hand behind him in a sort of goodbye. You let out an angsty sigh, rested your back against the tree.

Minutes passed, and you couldn't help wanting Newt to come back. Though solitude was nice, it wasn't as nice as you hoped it would be. Millions of things ran through your mind, and you realized with a dread there was no escape in the world. You were truly and honestly trapped. Unless you died. Geez that was a morbid thought. Get a grip you psychotic girl.

You heard footsteps, and craned your neck out so see if Newt was coming. You nearly fell from the tree, but luckily you caught your balance on a branch. Newt was carrying a plate full of food. It looked so good. In your few days in the Glade, you'd learned that though their lifestyle was very primitive, their food was divine.

"I'm not coming down," you said again, trying to make it clear to him you were not coming down. Trying to make it clear to yourself you were not coming down.

"I know, I know, you said that already. I'll just leave this here, in case you get hungry" he placed the plate on the ground, and walked away, his hands beside his head like he was surrendering.

You decided after minutes of sitting there smelling the delicious beef dinner beneath you, that you would maybe just sneak down and eat it. No harm. You knew you were starving, and the boy had left, one bite wouldn't kill you.

You climbed down slowly, and once you feet hit the ground you heard a rustle. You turned and saw Newt who was grinning at you. "Knew you'd come down." You squealed and ran back to the tree, climbing back up to the top.

"Bloody hell. I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you, please come down!" you huddled at the top of your tree.

"You can't stay there all night Y/N" he realized saying that wasn't a good plan. "I mean, you, you could, but there's a nice bed in the Homestead you could have, it'll be much warmer and more comfortable."

You stayed in the tree, more out of pride than anything else. You couldn't back out now.

"Please, just come down. Why are you so attached to that tree anyways?"

You didn't know what it was that made you honest. You could have kept all the words bundled up, not said a word, waited for him to leave. But something inside you pushed the words from your mouth, and once they started they didn't stop.

"Because down there there are people I don't know, expecting me to do things I don't know how to do. Everyone stares at me, and everyone expects me to fail, and it's too much considering I can't decipher a single thought in my head, and all I want is to be alone, but being alone is so scary," you paused. "Besides I climbed a tree, and now you most likely think I'm an immature monkey child who can't get her emotions straight, and I'll have to climb down and walk back out there and face everyone again. And I just can't do it."

A silence ensued, and you almost couldn't breath. You hadn't realized that'd been building up until it had spilled from your mouth, staining the world. Your gaze locked ahead, unable to look down. You were almost positive he'd left. But then there was a figure among the branches beside you, and you almost fell out of the tree again, baffled beyond belief.

Silently, you watched as he climbed up, swearing under his breath as he tried to find the proper places to put his feet. Finally he was sitting next to you. It was hard to explain, but the gesture warmed your heart in a way words couldn't. He stared at you through his thick lashes, his eyes viewable even as the sky turned dark.

"I don't think I ever properly introduced myself. My name's Newt, and I know exactly how you feel."

A/N: Well for some reason writing that made me emotional. I don't know who this character I have created is, but I think she is my soul animal. Hope you liked my ridiculous lil' imagine. .