new home // 21

A/N: This imagine is gonna be a little different because it's from NEWTS POINT OF VIEW. For the first half at least. Also, it's the sequel to an earlier imagine. PROTIP: Read the first imagine, and THEN this one. You don't necessarily have to, but it would make everything make more sense. The earlier imagine is 'Sent Up // 17'

Thanks babes.

Newt's POV:

Nick had been killed just weeks ago, and Alby—previously Second in Command— had become our new leader. Alby was not particularly a nice person, but he was a good person, and that's what this place needed: someone who was passionate and strong and knew what to do.

But even I could see that Alby was struggling, and I didn't like looking for other people's weaknesses. Seeing others vulnerability did nothing for me, only made me feel invasive. Who was I to pass judgements on other people's struggles and fears? I had plenty of my own to worry about.

With Alby as our new ringmaster, that meant I was upgraded to Second in Command, which also meant that I now had responsibilities. Knowing that helped me from falling to deep into my own agonizing thoughts. I had people relying on me, people leaning on me. If I sunk too far down I could bring them all down with me.

I would not let that happen again.

Shaking my head, I tried to clear my thoughts. Today they were sending up a new greenie, and I needed to be the friendly face to welcome him to his new home, and make sure the lad was okay. The transition into this place has been proven to be quite a difficult one, and any kindness people could spare always helped.

Lunch was just finishing up as I heard the siren that signalled the Box's arrival. I promptly put down the bowl of stew I'd been eating, and started heading over, accompanied by most of the other boys near by. This Greenie was a little bit early, but nobody seemed to ever be perfectly on time.

The doors creaked open, and instantaneously I knew that something was different.

Instead of the troubled features of a young boy, I was staring straight into the angry eyes of a girl. It felt like there was something tied deep within my ribcage, pulling me towards her. I wanted to fall to my knees and run my fingers through her hair, and none of it added up. I had no memories, but I could have sworn that she was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen.

Your POV:

His eyes were so warm, you almost forgot about the fear clawing at your chest. The sun was outlining him, and he looked like an angel. The back of your mind was trying to piece together his face and why it felt so right to you. So far your mind had been pretty useless though, unable to bring a single fact or memory to your fingertips.

"Wha-" your voice cracked as you looked from face to face of all the boys above you. You may as well been stripped down to nothing but your skin for the looks they were giving you. You felt small and exposed, like a lamb ready to be slaughtered "What am I doing here? Who are you? What do you want?" And then your eyes came back to the boy, and you felt your rigid body soften a bit.

I love you the way the ocean loves the land. Your heart quickened, as recognition tickled the back of your mind, playing with your heartstrings as if they were a harp. Why did everything seem to make no sense, except for him. He felt like the one solid thing in the scenario in front of you.

You wished you could take your eyes off him, but you were stuck in place. "Welcome to the Glade... Greenie. This is your new home," He spoke with a foreign lilt in his voice, soft and comforting. "The name's Newt."