sleepless // 11

Your head was clouded with thoughts as you crept up the stairs to Newt's room in the Homestead. Your footsteps were quiet but steady, and deep inside your chest your heart was pounding like a solemn earthquake. You had woken up from another nightmare, and this night you couldn't take it anymore.

You pushed open the door softly, and stepped in, the air much warmer inside than anywhere else in the Glade. Newt was tangled in a mass of blankets, his eyes closed and his features unaware and beautiful.

Though, the second the door clicked shut his eyes opened hazily, searching everywhere to identify the sound. Once they landed on you, they narrowed.

"Y/N... what are you doing here?" he asked groggily, pushing up onto his elbow.

You put a hand over your mouth, one solitary sob escaping your lips. Newt immediately got up and crossed the room to where you were standing. He reached up a hand and cupped your cheek, wiping away your tears with his thumb.

You laughed through your sobs, looking up at him "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come in here and wake you up. I just..." you bit your lip. "I couldn't sleep."

Newt guided you to his bed, laying you down among the sheets. He lay down right next to you, wrapping you in a his arms. "Why not, love?"

You started from the beginning, recalling the feeling of pain coursing through your body like a livewire. A child's voice telling you to run, seeping with desperation. Gunshots raining around you, deafening. Fire, brighter and more brilliant than anything you'd ever seen. Insanity beyond explanation or reason, sucking out the humanity from everything that had once been held dear.

It wasn't just the flashes of memories, so horrifying and clear, but it was the fear brought with them. A kind of distraught unhappiness that stripped every bit of armour off your body, leaving you bare and exposed and alone. You didn't understand, you just knew whatever lay beyond those walls was bad.

Newt was silent as you spoke, running his fingers through your hair soothingly. "I just couldn't stand all of it. And I just- I didn't want to be alone..." your voice had evened out, but you still hiccuped occasionally; your words as soft as butterfly wings.

"You don't have to be alone. I'm right here," he kissed your forehead. "Now, you need to get some sleep."

"But I can't" you said sadly, holding tightly onto Newt, your hands wrapped around his waist.

"Yes you can," he pulled up the blanket to cover both your bodies. "Just try. I'll stay here and guard off the bad dreams." You nodded after a moment and Newt smiled, kissing you.

"Goodnight love."

"Goodnight Newt."

And in Newt's arms you drifted deeper and deeper into a sea of grey, your thoughts running down your skin and onto the floor like water. You were overwhelmed with a new sense of safety, and as sleep called to you once more you were not afraid.

A/N: Cliche and short, I know. I hope you enjoyed it anyways. Please vote, comment, request. I appreciate all of it <3 (wow I sound desperate. Just ignore me, I'm a little self doubtful and crazy)