don't go // 8

A/N: This chapter contains Death Cure spoilers and a lot of emotions, you have been warned.

You stared up in horror at your boyfriend, who was hanging from the ivy that lined the outer walls of the Maze. The sky was ebony black, and the walls loomed above you at a great height. Tears streamed down your cheeks as you stared up at the boy you loved.

"Newt... Newt get down from there," your voice sounded stern, but on the inside you were melting to the ground, every grip on yourself evaporating.

He was close enough you could hear him. You could hear the pain in his voice "I can't..." and you knew he didn't mean he couldn't climb down. You knew.

"You can, please just come down. Newt plea—"

"I can't" his voice was broken, and it nearly brought you to your knees.

He was sobbing, and you were on edge, knowing he would jump any second. Slowly, you reached to your belt and pulled out your dagger. Your tears stung your face as you held it in front of you, resting the tip on your heart. You knew he wouldn't listen unless you were on even ground.

"Listen to me," Newt saw the dagger poised in your hands, ready to kill. He was silent. "We're all stuck here. Its awful. It's an awful existence. And I'm sorry you can't bear it, but neither can I. The one thing holding me to this goddamn earth is you, I can't survive without you."

He was trembling "you don't understand how hard it is. How every bloody day I know that I have no chance of escape. That I'll be here forever, rotting away slowly until theres nothing left."

"Make me understand. I will help you, I will bear the weight with you, I will try as hard as I can to make it right."

"But you can't, Y/N. There's nothing you can do. The only thing that'll help me is to make it all stop. I just need it to all stop," you closed your eyes, letting more tears escape.

"If you die, so do I. Do you think I could live in this place without you? That I'd have a purpose?" your voice was calm but your hands shook as they held the knife. "We have each other Newt. No matter how hard it get's, we have each other."

You stood there, skin icy, tears salty as neither of you moved. His face was concealed by shadow but you knew his eyes were on you. It felt like every second, every breath, was an eternity. All the Gladers around you slept peacefully, oblivious of what was at stake.

Finally, he started to climb down, one painful movement at a time. Relief flooded through your blood, washing over you like a tidal wave.

Once he was down he started running to you, sobbing. The weapon dropped from your grip as you stepped forwards, collapsed to your knees, bringing with Newt with you. You wrapped your arms tightly around him as he cried into your shoulder.

You rocked back and forth, your grief unbearable. His hair was soft beneath your touch, and you ran your fingers through it, trying to express to him how much you loved him. Neither of you pulled away as you both cried, clinging to each other for dear life.

You knew one thing for certain was you'd never let him go again. You would never let anything hurt him, and somehow somehow you were going to heal him. Fix the cracks in his smile, and lead him back to his life before everything went to hell.

You would save him, because that's what you did for the ones you loved most. You put them back together, and showed them how to breath. You would always help him through.

Always.

A/N: I'm sorry I wrote that. It pained me, but it had to be done. Sometimes the trauma is worth it, you know? Sometimes it's good to feel hurt, because it reminds us we can feel anything at all. It reminds us how to love, and what loving does. That there are some things so precious that even the mere idea of losing them will tear us apart.