Chapter 17 - "We Won!"

Stage: Me - Cards: ac110807
- Chapter 17 - Goodbye Snyder! -
Warnings: Snyder? I don't know
Third Person POV

Jack, Pulitzer, and Roosevelt walk out onto the balcony over looking all of the Newsies.

Newsies: And the world will know,
we've been keeping score
Either they give us our rights
Or we give them a war

We've been down to long
And we've payed our dues
And the things we do today,
Will be tomorrow's news

And the die is cast
And the torch is cast
And the roar will rise
From the streets below

And our ranks will grow
And grow, and grow
And grow, and grow, and

Stage and Cards stood next to each other, their arms around each other.

"Newsies of New York!" Jack calls, gaining everyone's attention.

Jack grins. "We won!"

The Newsies all start cheering.

Stage and Cards hug each other. "We won."

"We won" Cards whispers back, smiling as well.

When everyone quiets down, Jack continues. "And now, my very own personal pal, Governor Theodore Roosevelt himself!"

The crowd claps.

The Newsies share awestruck looks with each other as Roosevelt steps forward to speak.

"Each generation must, at the height of it's power, step aside and invite the young to share the day. You have laid claim to our world and I believe the future, in your hands, will be bright and prosperous" Roosevelt states, smiling at the Newsies.

Medda claps, looking impressed.

Roosevelt turns to Jack, holding his drawings.

"Your drawings, boys, have brought another matter to bear. Officers, if you please!" Roosevelt calls to the officers.

Cards pulls Stage behind her, protectively, as a bunch of other Newsies do the same to others.

"Wait a second..." Stage trails off, noticing something.

Cards looks at her, confused, before following her gaze.

"Hey look! Jack, Jay, it's Crutchie!" Race shouts, as Crutchie comes running, or bobbling, out towards them.

"Heya fellas! Ya miss me?!" Crutchie exclaims, causing the Newsies to cheer.

Race hugs Crutchie, who smiles.

Stage looks up at Cards, both of them grinning. "Crutchie's out."

Stage sees Snyder, handcuffed by police.

Crutchie motions for her to come over to him.

Cards guides her over to him, as Stage was a little too frightened to go by herself.

"Jack, with these drawings you've mad an eloquent argument for shutting down the Refuge." Roosevelt states. "Be assured that Mr. Snyder's abuses will be fully investigated."

Stage grins at Cards.

"Officers-" Roosevelt starts.

Crutchie stops him. "Please, Your highness... may we do the honors?"

Governor Roosevelt nods, as some of the boys chuckle at Crutchie calling him 'Your highness'. Governor Roosevelt was also a little amused.

"You have got to be joking" Snyder groans, causing Cards to roll her eyes.

Crutchie takes Stage's hand.

Stage stares at Snyder, building up courage. "You know, Mr., people who are nice to everyone, including to those who you call 'street rats', don't go to jail. People who do their job well, and don't beat up kids who are just trying to survive like everyone else don't go to jail."

Stage pats his back. "Take notes."

Cards and a few other Newsies chuckle, as Snyder scowls at her.

Stage shakes her head. "Plus, frowns are depressing. Smiles are much nicer. I think you should remember that. Also, you say, 'thank you for the opportunity to learn better'."

Snyder scowls again. "Such big words for such a small girl."

"Thanks. You taught me the true meaning behind the word" She comments without the bitter smile leaving her face.

Stage walks back over to Cards, who pats her back while Crutchie smacks Snyder with his crutch.

"You are a horrible influence on me" Stage whispers, causing a few of the boys to laugh.

"Oh, I know that." Cards whispers back, smirking. "But I could be so much worse of an influence. You have no clue how much I want to punch him."

"Oh no, I know." Stage responds. "I can feel the anger radiating off of you, hence why I came back over to you."

"Little Stage from a year ago would've never said that, never mind touched Snyder or looked him in the eyes" Jack comments, coming over with a few other Newsies.

"I'm not little!" Stage exclaims. "I'm tough!"

"No. Cards is a horrible influence on you, that's what" Spot responds, smacking Cards with his hat.

Cards smacks him back with her hat (that Stage worked with Buttons to make). "You can't say you'd be any better."

"No," Spot starts. "But I would leave her with people who'd keep her innocent."

"She's still innocent" Cards responds. Stage rolls her eyes.

"Anyway," Stage drags out, turning to Crutchie. "Crutchie!"

The Newsies chuckle as Crutchie hugs Stage. "You're safe."

"I'm fine, Stagie" Crutchie whispers, as Stage hugs him closer.

Cards pouts. "That's my name for her. You're stealing my best friend."

"I apologize" Crutchie responds, joking.

Stage hugs Cards, thinking she's serious. "He's not stealing me. I'll always be your Partner in Crime."

Cards smiles. "I'm glad, but I was also joking, Stage."

"'Course you were" Stage mumbles, a bit annoyed.

The Newsies chuckle as Cards ruffles Stage's hair.

"Hey, hey." Stage seats her hands away, looking at Cards with a serious expression. "No- no, none of that."

"Why not?" Cards raises an eyebrow.

"Because by doing that, you are indicating that you think I am smaller than you and adorable. I am not" Stage states, causing a good amount of Newsies to laugh.

"You are small and adorable" Cards, Race, Jack, and Spot respond in unison.

"Not sure why you're talking" Albert states, ruffling Race's hair.

Race pouts.

"Yeah, I stayed out of this one for a reason" Smokes comments, putting his hands up in a surrendering motion.

"I am not little nor adorable." Stage states. "If anyone's little, it's Smalls, Les, Lucky, and Tumbler."

"You're smaller than I am!" Smalls exclaims, walking over to the group.

"I am not!" Stage exclaims, turning to face Smalls.

Sniper and Cards chuckle. "You totally are Stage."

"She's named after being small!" Stage whines, pointing to Smalls.

"That doesn't change anything."

"Why not?"

"Cause it doesn't."

1020 Words