Chapter 11 - Ambushed

Stage: Me - Cards: ac110807
- Chapter 11 - The Rally -
Warning: Abuse, soaking
Third Person POV

Stage and Cards stood behind Jack, Spot, and Davey on the stage of Medda's theater.

"I'm bored" Stage states. Cards laughs.

"I agree. This is boring, but we have to do this" Cards responds. Stage nods.

Stage quietly taps to herself.

Cards smiles when she notices, quietly joining in.

Stage smiles.

Jack claps to get their attention, and they walk up to stand beside him.

"Carrying the banner!" Jack shouts, causing all of the Newsies to cheer.

Cards covers Stage's ears, as things can sometimes be too loud for her, until the cheering is done.

"Thanks" Stage whispers. Cards nods.

"Give it up for Brooklyn, the Drifters, and the other boroughs here tonight!" Jack shouts. The Newsies clap.

"So, we've come a long way, but we ain't there yet and maybe it's only gonna get tougher from now on. But that's fine, we'll just get tougher with it." Jack smirks. "But also, we gotta get smart and start listening to my pal David," Jack points to Davey. "who says 'stop soakin' the scabs'."

"What are we supposed to do to the bums? Kiss 'em?" Race questions from the audience. Davey, Stage, and Cards shoot him looks.

Spot steps forward. "Any scab I see I soak 'em. Period."

"No, no. That's what they want us to do." Davey tells Spot, who rolls his eyes. "If we get violent, it's just playing into their hands.

"Hey, look. They're gonna be playing with my hands, alright." Spot turns back to look at the audience. "'Cuz it ain't what they say, it's what we say. And nobody ain't gonna listen to us unless we make 'em.

All of the Newsies in the crowd start arguing.

Stage and Cards share a look, and Stage nods to Cards.

"You got no brains!" Cards shouts, making everyone fall silent.

"Welp, that was one way to put that." Stage mumbles. Cards rolls her eyes. "Why are we starting to fight each other? It's just what the big shot's wanna see. That we're street rats! Street rats with no brain's. No respect for nothing, including ourselves!"

"She's right" Stage hears murmured voices from the audience, agreeing with her.

Jack steps forward again, silently thanking Stage and Cards. "So, here's how it's gonna be. If we don't act together, then we're nothing. If we don't stick together, then we're nothing. And if we can't even trust each other, then we're nothing."

"Tell 'em guys!" Blink shouts. He was leaning over the edge of a balcony.

'Be careful' Stage mouths to him. He smiles at her.

'I'll be okay, Daring' Blink mouths back. Stage nods, still a bit uncertain.

"So, what's it gonna be?" Cards questions, stepping forward again.