t hi r t y - e i g h t

The members of the New Directions (and honorary members from the Trouble Tones) all sat down in their allocated space, looking to the stage where the judges were all being introduced. "And now, let's meet our judges for the 2012 Midwest Regionals! Deputy Zoning Commissioner Melba Jackson-Wright! President of the Ohio Plumbers Union Local 109, Mr. Hal Beindorf! And Central Ohio's number one late-night horror movie host Svengoobles!" The announcer paused as people cheered, the red curtains parting. "And now, from Westerville, Ohio, the Dalton Academy Warblers!"

During the song, Marina and Arabella clapped along, sitting in their seats. When Finn stood mid-song as he clapped, Marina and Arabella stood too, causing more to stand and clap for the Warblers. A girl from the Golden Goblets looked at Finn, confusion in her eyes. "Why are you cheering your competition?" She asked.

Finn breathed out, smiling. "Life's too short. You should try it. Come on." He then turned to the sitting members of the groups. "Get up!"

When Sebastian finished, he moved out of the formation, addressing the crowd. "Thank you. Just a reminder to please make a donation to one of our charity baskets. We're set up all around the auditorium. Just look for the Dalton blazer. Please, give what you can." He said before moving back, starting on their next song.

Sugar leaned over to a boy in a Dalton blazer, handing him some money. Marina also moved to give some money to the boy, but he knowingly shook his head. "No, Marina. You've already donated $1000, your uncles have too." Marina shook her head, giving him the money anyway.

"It's for a good cause."

Marina looked at Arabella, a knowing glint in her eyes. "We should have guessed."

Arabella nodded as the boys began to dance. "I thought Jeff was playing it in the car more often."

The girls were up on their feet, clapping and cheering throughout the song. Blaine, Kurt, and the rest of the group soon joined in. Marina's eyes locked with Sebastian's mid performance, the girl giving him a wide smile.

When they finished, the boys got a standing ovation filled with cheers and applause. As they went offstage, the announcer spoke. "And now, from Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrow High School, the Golden Goblets!" As they came onto the stage, Marina winced at their music style.

As everyone was in the dressing room prepping for the performance, Puck spoke. "Those Golden Goblet madrigal singers were way better than I thought they'd be." He admitted as he put eyeliner on his under-eye.

"Are you high? I couldn't hear their instruments at all." Brittany said in response as Mr. Schue stood tall, speaking to the group.

"All right, guys, listen up. Don't let them get into your heads, okay? Stay focused on what we do best." He said to the group.

Artie made his way to the centre of the room. "Show circle time, come on, let's huddle up!" Everyone clapped and cheered as they all made their way to the middle of the room, forming the circle.

"Okay, uh - Oh, Finn, you wanted to start us off?" Mr. Schue said to Finn, who nodded.

"Yeah. I know it's kind of short notice, but after the competition, Rachel and I are going to get married. At the Justice of the Peace, at the Lima Municipal Centre." People gasped in surprise at his words, but some smiled too.

"There will be some light refreshments afterwards, my dads and I were rolling finger sandwiches all night long." Rachel chuckled softly.

"With everything that's happened lately, we thought a lot about what Mr. Shue said. We didn't want to wait anymore. We just want to live every day like it's our last. So, we wanted to thank a lot of you guys that were supportive of our decision to get married." Finn smiled to the group.

"And-and for those of you who maybe weren't the biggest fans of our impending nuptials, we thank you also. So, after we win, we would really love it if all of you would come to our wedding." People nodded, clapping before Mr. Schue spoke.

"Come on, bring it in! Amazing!" Everyone placed their hands in the middle, before shoving them in the air as they cheered. 

The group of boys stood on stage, Rachel in the centre as she sang. The girls entered from the side, joining Rachel in the middle. The group all met together, pairing off and dancing the routine as they sang. Santana and Artie then sang- well, no, it was more of a rap- as the girls danced as a group, the boys doing the same. Blaine then came in, standing between Santana and Artie as he rapped.

In the stands, Sebastian and the other Warblers were on their feet, clapping for Marina and Arabella. They were all grinning, liking the performance.

Back on stage, the two groups alternated between songs as they danced, Rachel, Finn, and Puck at the front of the group. They then moved into more of a square, each group moving diagonally as they sang. Mercedes then moved to the front, belting out high notes.

The group then moved into their final formation for the song, everyone behind Rachel and Mercedes as Artie sat at the very front. After everyone clapped and cheered for the group, they rushed offstage as the Trouble Tones stood on the stage. 

As the Trouble Tones sang, Marina and Arabella saw Sebastian, Thad, Jeff, Nick, and Trent clapping along as they grinned. Marina knew it was because they all loved that song, but Sebastian also genuinely thought that if he and Marina ever had a child it would be Santana (personality-wise, anyway). The song was mainly sung by Santana and Mercedes, the rest of the girls baking them up and harmonising when necessary.

Everyone clapped as the girls rushed off stage, Rachel moving to stand alone on the stage. 

When she sang, she sang alone on the stage until all of the girls skipped on, singing alongside Rachel as everyone in the crowd were on their feet, clapping and dancing as they watched their performance. Eventually, the boys moved to where they were visible from above, singing along with the girls. Rachel and Finn sang to each other as the rest of the girls danced around the stage.

When they finished, Marina knew the clapping was the loudest for this song than it had been for the others. No offence, Sebby, Marina thought, but you've lost.