Bonus chapter I: Courtship

I was absolutely livid at Sybil. Was this her intended goal all along? To have me taken away from my owner, and subjected to various degrees of torture, physical and financial, and burdens to be taken on by my caregiver. There had to be some way to get back at her, and she was conniving herself in the corner, perhaps being as lavish as possible for Samuel and Carey's wedding. There had to be a way to stop the wedding, and even now, Carey could just call the engagement off. I don't know what sort of prenup they had to sign in order to keep me safe, but there had to be some way to get around it. 

All these thoughts were running through my mind, and other plans for the destruction of the Whittmores. I sometimes pity their valiant efforts to make a quick buck, but even after all was said and done, their actions are contemptible. 

Before I could think further, the door to Elizabeth's room clicked open and I quietly awaited her arrival. She pushed through the door soon after, and she sighed.

"Is everything alright, Elizabeth?" I asked.

"It's nothing," Elizabeth replied. "I've been trying to comfort Carey as she is complaining about the wedding.

"She does not have to consent if she hates it so."

"I know, Edward. She's always been like this. She thinks she's making a noble sacrifice."

"I see."

"Well, I hope you are enjoying the most drama I've had in years." There was a pain to that subject, yet she tried to pass it off as but a passing joke, to which she and I knew it couldn't be, as much as we'd like to detest such facts. 

"It's a definitely a scandal," I reply. "Though hopefully not the most extreme one I've seen in life."

Elizabeth took one look at me, and gave a meek smile. "Well, I know how much you want to tell me about your plans, but that will have to wait."

A look of disappointment came around. "And why, if I am inclined to ask?"

"I'm going out tonight, Edward."

"Out? With whom?"

"His name is Alex. He sounds nice. He's taking me to dinner, and I accepted. I need a break from those people."

"You and I both, Elizabeth. But I ask, who shall be my provider for this evening?"

"Derrick or Carey."

"You're trusting Carey to take care of me?"

"Look, she's not all bad, she's just a little impulsive."

I bit my cheek, to prevent me from saying anything about the person who tried to kill me twice, but I did wish to say something. "Well I wish you the best tonight, and if you are so inclined, I should be very happy indeed to make his acquaintance." I said this through a strained emotion, I had unfortunately come to the realisation that this Alexander man was pursuing the interest of a courtship with Elizabeth. My darling Lizzie, whom I love so well. Alas, the timing to confess my affections were too long gone, and it would be ever so rude of me to consider what her current status is. 

"Thank you Edward, I'll be back before you know it."

"Then I shall entertain myself with that of sleep. I must admit, I am exceptionally worn from the horrible conversation at lunch, and I do believe that an early bedtime is quite the order."

Elizabeth smiled as she came over to the cage, and she gently took me into her palm. "Sweet dreams, Edward," she whispered before giving me a quick kiss. She placed me back down onto the floor, and as she left, she turned out the lights. I was in a room of darkness, and even with the loss of my love interest to another man, I fell asleep with little tossing and turning. The events during my slumber were not as lucky.