XXVII

I had been in Lizzie's bed, clutching the covers, slightly shivering from the draft that had blown through in the night, only to be counteracted by a warm sensation. I woke myself, with a slow, dreary start. I was in the hands of Lizzie, and as such, I had to wait for her to wake. Lizzie had flickered her eyes open quickly, and she took me into her hands, cooing as she sat up. "Good morning, my love," She caressed my body, with the tip of her finger. She seemed entranced by her actions, freezing her upper body, in fact everything besides her right arm.

"God den, my darling," I responded. She placed me down by the cage, and I went in. I took off my shirt and trousers and exchanged them for a newly pressed pair. I took a black pair of trousers, along with my white dress shirt. I changed my cravat to white and waistcoat to a velvet black.

"I need to go for just a moment, I'll close the door behind me. I'll be back soon."

"As you wish, my dearest," I reply. Lizzie gave me a little kiss upon my head, and took leave from the room. I heard a faint click all the way from the other side of the room. This was the chance that I had, to read the curiosity that gnaws at me.  This was my chance, the chance to peer into the unknown questions I pondered so, practically giving me the opportunity to answer my burning inquiries.

I saw the leathery book once more. I got out, taking care to stop the train before I began my investigation, for it would be awful if I had to chase after it. I pulled the book with strain, pulling it to a clearing that would manage easily to open the book. The book had opened, and the worn pages had finally fulfilled their duty to explain themselves. I flipped through the pages, searching for something but to what I did not know at the time. Then came a peculiar page, a page that had a substance of red, blood. Entranced, I read the page, wanting to know what had caused the blood. And the following paragraph that I had read had been gruesome and shocked me to my core.

8/12/52

It's been a year and then some from the incident, the day that Edie died. I should've been keeping him safe then. I should've watched him as he ran off into the city. I can't bear to live with myself knowing that he died, because of my neglect. Carey and Derrick say it wasn't my fault, but deep down I know they despise me for it. 

I stepped back, knowing that this Edie was a sibling of Lizzie, perhaps younger, based on the context. slowly, I looked back, frantically flipping through the parchment, seeing if I had a specific mention. And, it happened.

11/6/54

A new pet has come into the ring. His name is Edward. He resembled Edie, or I may be forcing myself to imagine that. He is humble, and he just wants to survive. I think I may actually love him more than just a pet. Even though he went missing on the second day, only to show up the third, I know that he is loyal to me. I'm going to squeeze every penny out of that woman to make her pay for having Edward in pain. If he loves me back, I can make it work if I must, but only if he feels the same. I think I want to be his wife, yet I don't really know what to do about the difference in society. Maybe we can go wherever he is, wherever Kensington is, and whenever it is.

So. She does love me. I thought to myself, this has been such a rush of information. Though she claimed she loved me in return, the manner in which she acted would suggest she said the same to avoid a sense of embarrassment. My dearest captor does, without a doubt, return my feelings, without any hesitation from her end. I was giddy. I began to think about it, the constant statements of her siblings, the continuous compliments of going where no pet had gone before, even the bloody truth of dare session, has all hinted at this, yet I never picked up on it whatsoever. Only my feelings had appeared to me, and not hers. I could've had her long ago, but I kept my mouth shut for my own safety. What a fool I was.