XXIV

I awoke, and it appeared to be so much later in the evening. And Lizzie was looking so tired. "Are you alright Lizzie?" I asked.

"Oh, yeah. I'm fine, just a little tired," she sleepily said, coming to me to check my head. "It's gone down, I think you're through the worst of it."

"Oh, that is marvelous! A few more hours or so, and I shall be as good as new."

"You will be... But, you really have to eat something."

"I wouldn't say that it is quite needed..."

"You haven't had anything to eat, have you? Because neither have I. Let's go eat," She took me away from the bowl of water, and swaddled me in a small blanket.

"As much as I wish to reject this sociablility of the blanket, I am all too enamoured with it's comfort," I remarked.

"I have my ways to get you comfortable," she said. "You know, if you don't puke after you eat, you can sleep with me again."

"Are you quite sure?"

"I'm obviously sure, but you have to promise me that you won't fight me if I maybe bring you to cuddle."

"Do you really think I would object?"

"I don't know about you anymore."

"You should be aware that my impressions may be misleading, and I apologize for that."

"You don't have to do that!"

"I feel it is my obligation to do so."

"Fine, if you insist on being sorry for something you didn't do."

She took me to the kitchen that was behind the sofa of the parlor, the slicked black granite on the counters. And the rich darkened walnut tree wood was the building piece for the tops. Lizzie quickly grabbed something out of a large ice box, as I mean it was about the height of her giant form. She grabbed something out of the box and put in another one, that lit up and made a high pitched whir. And she started to sing as the food was turning. Still that lowly soprano that I imagined her.

"You know, you do have such a lovely singing voice. I am secure in the belief that you are well accomplished."

"What do you mean by that?"

"You have knowledge of the arts, modern languages, and something in your air."

"And what is the certain something in my air."

"I don't entirely know, but I can assure you that it is something sweetly positive. And I know that your voice is angelic, and I would hope you are a good artist."

"I do have some good drawings from time to time."

"You are way out of the rank of any man that pursues you. You are a treasure to be sought after."

"And what if I already found my treasure?"

"Then you simply must pursue it."

"I think I may already be doing that," I heard her murmur. "Well, here. It's some soup. Might not be the most filling, but it is good for you," She said to me, placing a bowl down on the table. I began to drink the broth that was placed in front of me, and everything was fine. But all through the meal, Lizzie seemed troubled. I wouldn't let this be the case for long, so after we ate and she picked me up again. I heard her sigh as she took us up the stairs.

"What is the matter Lizzie? I can't bear to see you in despair like this. It breaks me, it hurts me." I said begging but as gentle as I could. She looked at me with sad eyes.

"Nothing,"she responded, though it clearly wasn't. she began to weep and crawl sideways on the bed. I went to her aid. Laying sideways in front of her in the opposite direction she was facing, facing her.

"Now, now. The pure fact is misleading. I know something's the matter based upon your skewed emotions. Please, I wish to be of assistance, anyway, anything that I could do."

"Really, it's nothing..."

"I doubt that, but, it is my turn to take care of you."

"Edward, you don-"

"I insist. I shall not hear of it otherwise. My body seems much better and energetic. I only want to take care of you, as you did I."

"Bu-"

"No buts, my master."

 It was time for sleep, Lizzie brought her arms around me, hugging me. She tightened her grip until I was pressed against her chest, I turned the other way to face her direction. I stared at the birdcage, to think my journey started there and has gotten more trustworthy.

"I know that you are quite unhappy with our current situation in store for us, whether that be relationship or the outside factors. I wish for you to forget about it for one night. all I ask of you is to be entranced at my attempts to make you happy, and for that I require keyed instruments. You shall soon see your joy blossom as a lilac and start to sing the song of a lark. This I promise you. Lest I fail, I shall accept my fate as dead. But I'm positive to succeed in your happiness."

"You know, you don't have to use your music to make me happy."

"And what shall fill you with glee?"

"Just having you here."

"We both know I can do something to make you even more joyous."

"Perhaps, but I wouldn't know what it could be."

I sighed. "Well, I haven't the faintest clue either. So, it appears that I will abide by your request, ever so simple to follow, and beneficial to both of us."

"Now sleep, Edward. You are going to need to save yourself for tomorrow."

"And what is tomorrow?"

"Nothing in particular, but I want you to be healthy again."

"Very well, my mistress. I shall bear your sorrow and let it come away from you, so that you may rest easy."

"Edward, you are the one who needs to rest easy."

"If it means you can sleep sound, I shall bear your burden alone," I said, closing my eyes.

"You know... I didn't think that you would come out of your shell. You were kind of cold in the beginning, only taking into hat I said because you were my pet. Now, I think something else is driving that obedience," Lizzie whispered to me, half asleep already.

"I find that there can be many reasons, but I like to think of it as love," I said to her, but I don't think she actually noticed, for her body released it's tension, and she fell asleep. I smiled softly to myself, feeling my body relax as I drifted to sleep.