XXX

There was a bit of an awkward silence, until we reached Carlington manor. Jane had rung the bell, and Lizzie answered, looking puzzled. "Edward? I thought you were still at the village," she said in surprise.

"I would've enjoyed going on my promenade a bit longer, but there were a few men that tried to abduct me. It was only because of these three girls that I was able to be rescued. They brought me back to you, and I should hope to forget the incident."

"It can be forgotten, but I won't be letting you walk alone anymore."

"I believe that taking a stroll with you should be a benefit, not a punishment."

"Is there something I'm missing here?" Jane asked.

"I don't think too much. Just a different status of relationship than it may have been under the impression," I said.

"Jane, thank you," Lizzie said. "I'll tell your mother about this, and you ought to be rewarded for it. And for Carly and Sarah, I'll give you something." Jane, Sarah, and Carey eventually left after that. Then Lizzie set me down.

"What actually happened?" she asked.

"There wasn't much detail that I didn't slip. I was walking down the road, keeping an eye on the scenery. Then, three men came out of the shrubberies around a residence. They told me that I was to come with them, for there was apparently a bounty on my head. One of the men had forced a knife to my neck, and pressed me against the wall. It was almost adorable, for it wasn't threatening in the slightest. They tried to grab me, and of course they failed, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Those three girls came to my aid, quickly taking me from them. They then proceed to punish those men, and take me back here," I explained. Then I started to see some semblance in tears in her eyes. "Darling, what's the matter?"

She silently handed me a piece of parchment, though a massive piece, but looked like the sort of paper that was used for an invitation.

Dealer Miss. Carlington,

We regret to inform you that your pet, Edward, has been found deceased. We offer condolences on this newly found discovery. He was found on the side of the road in the town of Springlean just tonight. After we do our examination, we will return the body of your pet to you, and you may do what you wish with it.

Regards, Liechtenstein force

"What's the Liechtenstein force?" I asked. It was the first question that came to mind.

"It's the police for the smaller towns like Springlean, the town I put you in. They always send cards to the-" she suddenly stopped, and buried her face in her hands.

"Now, now, there isn't need for tears. I'm still the same man I always was. Besides, what could possibly motivate someone to kill me?"

"Do I have to answer that?"

"No, I suppose you don't. Whoever runs these cards must be mad. I can only conclude that it was a mistake, or I suspect foul play. I know how contrasting this is, my love. I respect your skepticism, but I am the Edward that you fought so desperately for, and had feelings for."

"How do I know?"

"I confessed my love to you a week beforehand."

"Alright, come here," she said, embracing me.

"Now, this begs the question. Why did this report come?"

As if by magic, the doorbell rang again. Lizzie placed me down on a table positioned at the back of the sofa, and went to the door. I took the liberty of leaning against a vase and peered from across the room, even though I could hear quite clearly.

"Elizabeth, I just heard what happened," I heard Sybil say dramatically sad. I could tell something wasn't quite right with her inflection.

Lizzie sounded confused for just a moment. "What do you mean?"

"I just heard that Edward died! I'm so sorry. Poor Elizabeth."

Lizzie gave an eye. "So, you know of my lover's death, even though I know for a fact that the Liechtenstein force only gives one copy to the master?"

"Well- I- I mean-..." Sybil stuttered, she had been caught in a lie.

Lizzie brought her into the parlor. "You should know that falsifying documents are illegal, right? I know it was you who drew up those documents."

"Me? Never!"

"Cut the crap, Sybil! I know it was you."

"It wasn't me, it was Samuel. He arranged the whole thing. He was going to pay those guys when he was dead. I tried to stop him, saying it-"

"Don't you get it?! I can have the police here in five minutes. Lick your wounds, and leave."

"Fine, but where is he?"

"He's here. Though, knowing your record, you're not going to see him."

"I have just as much right to see him as you do!"

"No, you don't! He's my pet, and I can do whatever I damn well please with him! I can keep him all to myself if I'd like. And even if I didn't, I'm sure as hell not going to let him see you!"

"You know he loves me."

"Really... I find that hard to believe."

"And why is it hard to believe?"

"Because him and I are in a relationship."

"Men can pick up a mistress."

"What have you been doing? Texting him?"

"Maybe."

"Get out."

"What?"

"You heard me. Get the hell out!"

Sybil lurched from the parlor. When her back was turned I emerged. Lizzie took me in her hands. "Such a low civility," I said to her. Sybil didn't like that, for she swiveled around and looked at me.

"Oh, there he is. My little tart," Sybil said.

"What did you just call me?" I asked.

"You know that you love me."

"You know that I despise every single bone in your body. I'd rather die than be your lover."

"So be it. I'll make you love me, just watch."

"Yet, why do you love me now? Even now after what you put me through."

"It was to show you I liked you."

"You just want to ruin us, for if you can't get the assets of the company, you can ruin us personally."

"You little!" Sybil bolted towards me. I then noticed Derrick coming faster than her, and wrapped his arms around her, from behind, struggling to keep her in place.

"What are you waiting for, get Edward out!" Derrick yelled to Lizzie, who was in a state of shock and disbelief.

"Please darling, let us away," I reasoned with her, pushing on her palm to get her attention. Lizzie gave no warning, making a cup with her hand and making a run for the staircase. She held me closer to her bosom, and I could barely see the world spinning as she took me to her room. She closed and locked the door, wanting nothing more to do with Sybil.

"I need to get her out of here," Lizzie said, with a pale inflection. "She has to get out one way or another.

"We have to brace ourselves, if Sybil is in any way as strong as she is vicious, she will surely overper-" I was cut off by a sickening crack, then a yell from Derrick.

"Shit, shit, shit," Lizzie paced about the room. The door was jiggled, and Sybil managed to get the lock undone.