XXXV

Knowing that Sybil was more or less sleeping, I had my windowed opportunity. As much as I would've liked to let her live her life, her pride has mortified mine all too much. I knew what I had to do, while I held my dagger in my hand. The question was how would I be doing it? It stands to reason I shouldn't dare do the same thing I had done the first time around, that would be risky. I instead sought for a different means of demise. Knowing how short my dagger would be, I could not think that it would have much penetration to her skin, let alone her flesh if I managed to break through. I had to choose wisely, a place that was easily accessible, and still having an exceptional mortality rate.

After a few glances over, I believe that I had found the best place, her throat. It was bulging as she swallowed in her sleep. Knowing a very limited amount of anatomy, it stands to reason that her throat must be sealed in order to breath. Without air, the body could not sustain itself. The real challenge of this stunt of mine were actually two things, my escape from the jar, and my escape from the home. I feel as though I should try what I always had intended, to climb down from the window that she had at the edge of her room. Then came the jar, too slick to climb, and too tall as well. My thoughts resided on the following, depending on the thickness of the jar, I could crack it, and then I would be most certainly free.

"Prepare yourself, Sybil. You shall be paying for your sinful deeds soon enough. You believe that you can take me away and expect me to be content?" I whispered to myself. My temper was flaring at her, and as such, as savage as I was in that moment, my instincts began to act. I took off my tailcoat, and unlinked my cuffs, placing them in my waistcoat pocket. I rolled up my sleeves, drawing my knife up.

A shock of nerves of intelligence hit me. I was losing myself. I was no longer a gentleman in this situation, and my conscious was already taking the toll. I would've thought that Sybil would be reasonable with my requests, yet, she wasn't. I supposed with myself that this was the final shred of dignity that I had around her; if I took vengeance, like some vigilante, I would be no better than her. I was all so sure in my belief that she had to be punished, as she had threatened me before.

I sighed. I knew that I had an obligation to escape, to do what should constitute my own happiness. I knew that my happiness wouldn't be with her, not ever. No matter what could happen, or what she would do to make up her actions towards me. She would forever be indebted to me, for her choices against me had forever changed my mind. Though my mind was numb to abuse and neglect from my childhood, there was still a stimulation of the trauma that Sybil had done against me.

That was the sense of motivation I so needed, with one swoop, I stabbed the glass. The knife went rather deep into it, having the tip barely escaping the thick pane. I pulled the knife out, and inspected the jar. The side was cracked, very much so. I strategically thrusted my knife at another point in the pane, and some shards began to fly. A little piece of the jar had chipped away. I jucked the weakened wall with my foot, and the shards began to fly. The wall had broken, with minimal damage to my person. With the knife still in hand, there was work to be done.

"The work waits! I'm alive at last, and full of joy!" I whispered to myself, gleeful. The only joy that I felt was the chance to see my darling Lizzie again, and not in the fact that I would kill her. That was the part that was my guilt setting in. I've ruined the lives of most of these people in the company, killing Trisian, ruining an engagement with Samuel -but that was more called for-, and now I'm to murder Sybil in cold blood. I took my tailcoat and laid it over my arms. I had everything that I would need to make a daring escape, and then something caught my eye. It was a spool of thread, I knew that it would most certainly prove useful. I moved over to it, and pulled a good amount, perhaps a few yards or so. I wrapped it around, like a coil of rope, and prepared for my journey. Noticing the window more, I noticed there was a latch that was protruding severely. I had a thought, and immediately took action with it. I took the end of the string, and tied a knot, more or less a knot that had a striking resemblance to a noose.

As I moved to the edge of the dresser, I saw the mattress of the bed below me. I jumped, and landed with a jostling thud, and lost my balance. I carefully climbed over Sybil, careful not to wake her, but with a persistence. Knowing what I saw earlier, I took great trouble in moving to the other side of the bed, and throwing the rope up as hard as I could. I tried many times to succeed, and on one such attempt, I had grasped something firm. I pulled, and tugged, and it wouldn't budge. I then put my full weight on it, and it supported me. I was pleased beyond comparison. I put on my tailcoat again, knowing I wouldn't have to move too much to sustain myself in climbing up. I then moved to do the deed that I had been meaning to do so before. A wave of relief swept over me, knowing her terror wouldn't come to terms with another, to harm them, or the ones they loved. I was the end of her reign, I was the deciding factor in her household. My decision was to be that her house was to be short lived on her family's throne. The only one left in this kin would be Samuel, someone who can and would be reasoned with. I had, unintentionally, made certain that their grasp wouldn't be on any other creature again.

I walked up to Sybil, resting upon her collarbone. She looked actually decent when she was asleep. I did feel a sort of obligation to her, no person should be asleep when they die, though it happens a majority of the time. If there would be a murder of a person, the murderer should be merciful enough to allow the captive to see their dying moments. "Sybil? Sybil? Sybil, darling?" I said. A spot of vile rose in my throat as I said that.

"Mmm..." I heard Sybil reply. She was awake, though not entirely. "Yes...?"

"I am to tell you I must go. I cannot live like this any further. Though you may have cared deeply about my character. I could not ever imagine that this relationship will be caring and have the dignity that any match should. I wouldn't want you to be upset at my remark, to leave in the middle of the night. I'm leaving, for good. I'm leaving entirely from this world, which should've happened long ago. Please, do not consider me showing any disrespect for what I am about to do," I sighed.

"W-what do... you mean?"

"I bid you the best of luck for your new residence... Oh! And do make sure Tristian does not have raging emotions against me."

"Are..."

"I wouldn't want to have you asleep when I left. I, even though I despise you, could not bear with the thought of a proper goodbye. Goodbye Sybil," I said. I unsheathed my knife, and stabbed it down her throat. I slid it across the skin, breaking it as it went. A small flow of blood began to ooze out, getting on my knee high boots. Sybil breathed a gasp, but no more, and her body lay limp. A crack of thunder had manifested itself outside, causing the house to shake. I secured my cuffs back onto my sleeves, and looked at Sybil one last time. I had to take pity on her, for obvious causes. Nobody deserved a cruel death, but measures must be taken to ensure her rampage ends. I don't think she was awful as a person, but her pushy and entitled nature led herself to demise.

The window was cracked open just enough for me to stick my hand under. I, with all my might, moved the window only a few inches or so, but that was enough for me. I squeezed myself in between the small gap that had opened up for me. The rain that was of the elements came down quickly, and landed on myself. They were large drops, that pelted me with a certain degree of area that was rather frightening. I grabbed the long string and pulled the end up, lifting the end that had a bit of blood on it. I let the string dangle down the outside of the home, which still didn't do much for me. There was a large cushion of objects below, and that was my only hope.

Breathing a sigh of tension, I grasped the rope tightly. I, with a leap of faith, stepped off the windowsill and started my descent downard. The cecent was horrifying, to say the least. Nothing could compare. I knew that I was a mortal man, and if I fell, that could give me horrible results. I was soon nearing the ends of my rope, and, seeing the cushions below me, I had to jump. My hands let go of the string, and my body began to accelerate to the ground, but thankfully, I landed in just the right spot to cause a great amount of pain.

I looked up at the window that I had falles from, it was from the second story. My experience with death would be a miracle that I had survived, but now I had another issue, to get back to Carlington manor.