XII

"A fifteen minute recess will happen," The judge said as he banged his gavel.

"Alright, C'mon, Edward. We should get some fresh air," Elizabeth suggested

"I think that sounds like a marvelous idea. I could use the air anyway's," I responded.

"Hey, by the way, The Whittmores would like to have a word with you before you go on your break. They say they want to negotiate with you. I'll see you in there," Mr. Fletcher said.

"Elizabeth, please promise me this... If we go in there, you will keep me close to you," I asked of her.

"Edward, I would never do something to harm you. I will keep you in my grasp if it is the last thing I do," She said, gently caressing my head. She slowly tightened her grasp on me, and we walked to a side room to reason with the family of ill-breeding.The first thing I noticed when I came in was that horrible human being, Sybil Whittmore. She had light brown hair, and a quality of her eyes that made it glow red when the light hit it right, compared to her original brown. She had a very short blood dress, covered by a grey version of Rachel's jacket. She looked ever so angry, and scheming. "You wanted to negotiate," Derrick stated.

"Here's how this is gonna go down," Sybil spoke. "You are going to drop the suit."

"And what makes you think we'll do that?" Elizabeth asked.

"Well because of this," Sybil stated before seizing and quickly snatching me, keeping me in her grasp.

"I knew that your kind couldn't be trusted. I was right to have a prejudice against you," I quickly spat.

"And what is that supposed to mean?" She asked, more snarled than anything.

"This explains my point exactly. I think the reason you are doing this is because you are at the lowest point of desperation. You know you will lose the trail, and you think you can still win by threatening me."

"This has nothing to do with you!"

"Then why am I held hostage?"

"Because," she said. She gave a little squeeze other fist, and flew her hand away from Elizabeth, Derrick, and Carey.

"Don't hurt him!" Elizabeth yelled.

"Please, Elizabeth. I've bested her once before," I calmed her.

"But, it's been changed," Sybil smugly stated

"If you think that I can't get out of this, then you are sadly mistaken."

"I know I'm not. And I'm going to kill you in front of your little master."

"Of course... Our old game, it's been changed. Every throw is riskier. You can't endanger me without being endangered yourself. And to that effect, I know exactly how to get out of this."

"What is going on here?!" Mr. Fletcher shouted, shocked beyond belief at the sight that is occurring. The only thing out of character was me, for I was abnormally calm in a situation like this, and was rather done with these sorts of games.

"Well, as you can clearly see, Mr. Fletcher, something that shouldn't be happening," I said.

"I can see that. Miss Whittmore, I'd highly suggest that you should put him down," Mr. Fletcher suggested, more commanded.

"Not until I get what I want," she replied, squeezing me tighter.

"Killing me won't solve your problems," I bluntly said.

"It will if I say it will."

"That is not how this works. Mr. Fletcher, would I be liable if something happened to her?"

"Well, no. She'd be charged if anything," He explained.

"Good. Now, if you'll excuse me," I said. I pulled out the knife from my boot.

"No, you won't be excused," Sybil growled. She squeezed me tighter, and I dropped my dagger.

"You sinister witch," I said, staggered between a tense sigh.

"Let's all calm down," Mr. Fletcher interrupted us. "We can settle this without death."

"I agree. Now, can you just put me down?" I gritted through my teeth.

"Not until I get what I want," Sybil growled.

"Look, Miss. Whittmore. I can get you in jail without even trying. Do you honestly expect me to let you continue this act?" Mr. Fletcher threatened.

"Not as long as I hold the cards."

"Alright, what do you want?" Mr. Fletcher gave in.

"Like I've said, I want the suit dropped. I want and extra million in assets-"

"No, that won't happen," Mr. Fletcher said.

"I don't think they have a choice," Sybil smugly replied.

"You do, actually. You don't need to have me alive. Elizabeth, no matter what you suggest. If you choose to accept or decline. And what happens depending on Sybil's temper. Either way you choose for this, she ultimately has to win. It's just a matter of me to the well being of the business. I'm willing to die for such an occasion."

"Edward, I can't just sacrifice you," Elizabeth whispered. A tear welling in her eye.

"Now, that that's out of the way," Sybil snarky interrupted, "I also want Samuel to marry one of you."

Elizabeth and Carey were in a bit of a shock. 

"Excuse me?" Carey said, clearly annoyed.

"You'll do," Samuel quickly said.

"Look, nothing will really come of this, it's up to the judge to decide," Mr. Fletcher said. "And it's up to the jury to decide who's guilty and who's innocent."

"Who gives a damn about the jury?"

"The law, first of all... And justice in general. So I'd suggest you not badmouth them."

"What are they going to do? Throw me in prison?"

"They'll do much more than that for attempted murder. Much more if you decide to kill him."

"They can't prove anything if I hide the body," Sybil replied.

"You do realize there are witnesses?" He asked.

"Who would believe them?"

"They have me too, just sayin'. You're really not that bright."

"We'll do it..." Carey said.

"Carey!" Elizabeth exclaimed.

"Look, I don't like this arguing crap. So if it will get you to shut up for a goddamn minute, I'll do it."

"Alright then. It's settled," Sybil grunted. She dropped me, and I fell onto the table. Elizabeth quickly came and scooped me up. "We'll be over tomorrow at 12 P.M. We're going to have an engagement party." Sybil and Samuel just left the room. Elizabeth, Derrick, and I were in a state of shock. Carey looked almost motionless.

"Well shit," Carey muttered.

"Look, Carey. We'll figure this out," Elizabeth said. "I know we will."

"As much as I despise your attempts on my life, Carey. I can respect your noble sacrifice. I just wish you wouldn't have been so silly in that regard. I'm not too hard to sway to forgiveness. I believe that this new situation will have repercussions, some of which might not be the best. You've my help, if that is any good," I tried to comfort her.

"I appreciate your offer, Edward. But I have to face this," Carey sighed.