II

I had just settled into my new surroundings. It was to be my living quarters, apparently. I sought my surroundings, a bed, dresser, desk, an armchair, and table with chairs. Nothing that is really noteworthy, it was just a standard living space. I climbed into bed, before which I took off my shoes, waistcoat, and overcoat. I closed my eyes, still wondering if any escape is possible. I found myself staring out of the window, gazing at the stars that dotted the night sky with their specs of light.

It was the next day when I woke up in a daze, somehow hoping that the day's events were only a dream. To my immediate dismay, my incident was indeed factual. Elizabeth was stirring, and she gave me such a fright. I felt my body start to tremble, uncontrollably might I add. She seemed cross this morning, and if anything, her anger would most certainly be taken out on me. My breathing intensified as she continued her trek out of bed, smoothing her hair once her feet touched the ground.

She turned around to, what I can only image, give me a good morning, when she saw me in my abhorrent state. She began to move closer, and my shaking got worse. Her gaze quickly caught mine, and she saw the pain that my face had portrayed. "What's wrong Edward?" She asked. 

I couldn't bring myself to respond, choosing instead to look away from her. I turned to look at the window, just now letting the sun beams into the room, brightening a select spot in very mild parallelogram.

"Edward, don't look away from me," Elizabeth then said. I closed my eyes for just a moment at her sharp infliction of her voice. With a deep breath, I turned around, still adamant that I did not look her in the eyes. "Look me in the eyes," she then said. I lifted my head up, looking directly into her blue eyes. It only made me more frightened, and knowing I couldn't do anything, I trembled even more. "Tell me. What's wrong?" she said this with a force in her voice. It was something of a maternal instinct. I felt somewhat less tense that I did before, but still, my composure was a complete wreck.

"I don't believe anything is the matter," I answered, lying.

"Don't lie to me," Elizabeth responded. I could only assume that she was getting cross, based on her infliction. "Edward, if you don't start telling me..." she began, but cut herself off when she noticed my reaction to her threat. I had slowly begun to back away from her, averting my gaze once again from her eye, bracing my body with tension for what she could do. "Edward... are you afraid of me?"

"I... I do not wish for it to be so... Yet, I cannot deter my own emotions from deciding this sense of fear in myself."

"Why are you afraid of me?"

"I hate to be imprudent, or make any prejudices... but your good detriments of your character haven't been... revealed. You've indeed taken me in, and in the process, are most likely going to hold me against my will. I do accept that fact, as I will be cared for, most beneficial to me... I fear as though, with this shroud of mystery about your personality, I don't know what to expect. I shan't expect anything, whether you be kind and gentle, or be sadistic and possessive of me. I do not want me to fear you... but I also think that your difference to me may also play a factor... You tower above me, with the strength to kill me if so desired, I have to tiptoe about you if I am to survive, which in of itself is a grueling task... Now, there is an added layer of your desires, to which I must fulfill, lest I reap the punishments of disobedience. I-"

"You don't have to explain it to me. I understand that you might be scared of me, but I can promise you that I won't hurt you."

"How can I be sure? Ho-"

"If I do hurt you, I'll be hurting myself in the process. I don't want to do that... and I don't want to punish you either."

"Can I have your word on it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Can I have your word that you won't take malicious action against my physical, mental, and emotional constitution?"

"You do. I promise you that I won't hurt you on purpose."

"I thank you for that... I... suppose that there are to be some rules set in place, per our agreement?"

"It doesn't matter at the moment. I want to get you comfortable before I do anything else."

"Do you think that is wise for you to allow me such privilege?"

"I think that you are good enough to follow the rules. I'm not too concerned."

"I suppose you know best..."

"You know, you're still shaking."

"Am I? I suppose that my nerves are too skewed for my own liking."

"Here," Elizabeth said, taking the top of the cage off. Her hand gently grasped around me, and pulled me out of the cage. She took me in her hands. "It's alright, it's alright. Nothing is going to harm you, not while I'm around."

"Your reassurance of my safety is all too comforting. Thank you."

"Now are you still afraid of me?" she teased.

"That depends... are you intending to treat me as a little toy, or do you intend to keep me as a pet? Am I to be used as you pleased, or given love? All these things constitute the instilled fear, which I should hope is in a false pretense."

"Oh, Edward. You're funny... I intend to treat you as my little pet. I'm going to feed you table scraps, give you lots of pets, and keep you around the house."

"Am I to be treated as a cat in that regard?"

"If you think of it that way, then yes."

"I've never been treated with the warmness and the affability of a feline. I've only been introduced to the comfort of a Corgi and a King Charles Spaniel. Both are very nice, if I will admit."

"Well, now you get to see how I see you," Elizabeth said. She went onto her bed, sitting down on it. She then held me, as if I were still a child. She took her hands and caressed my hands. "Did you sleep at all? You look kinda tired."

"I suppose the fear of the unknown kept me awake... It is always hard sleeping in a new location."

"Well, I'll hold you here, and you just close your eyes."

"I wish not to impede on your day..."

"Oh, come on, Edward. Just close your eyes."

"Alright..." I said, closing my eyes.

"Now that's a good boy."

After a moment, I spoke again, murmuring, "you know that it is a severe trust, the trust I'm putting in you."

"And your trust is going to be well taken care of."