XX

After a moment of silence, Elizabeth had a revelation. "I've an idea." she said.

"You do? Pray, go on and say it," I replied, barely keeping a smile from my face.

"Well, we give their waiter a tip to anonymously give them a glass of iced milk. Then we do it again. Through the night we'll keep doing it, never expressly saying who is giving them the milk until they can't take it."

"I love the idea, such a sense of torture involved in it. Let us try that."

"This is gonna be fun."

"Oh, no doubt of it. Shall we enact our plan into action?"

Elizabeth managed to flag down a waiter and beckoned him to lean in. "That table over there, with Miss. Carlington, and Mr. Whittmore. I will give you a hundred dollars each time, and every four, there is a twenty percent increase. You will, each payment, bring a glass of milk with ice in it, and place it at their table, and you will not say who sent it. Do I make myself clear?"

"Understood, Ma'am," the waiter said.

"Good. Now go do the first one, and you will be paid exceptionally well."

"Of course, Ma'am."

"Thank you. Now you best be off before they catch wise," Elizabeth finished. The waiter went off into the back, behind doors.

"I dare say we are going to severely ruin their experience, do you no think?"

"What's the problem with that?"

"There is nothing at all... Once we get him riled up, I wish to blow our cover and confront him, alone."

"Well why should we wait?"

"Very well, let us continue," I said. Elizabeth took my table, and walked around over to Carey and Samuel's table.

"Samuel, Carey. I didn't know that you were here. I was showing Edward around the town, and this was a place. Do you mind if we join you for a moment?" Elizabeth asked.

"Of course," Samuel said, while gritting his teeth.

"Thank you," Elizabeth said. She placed me down, and snuggled into by Carey. Slowly, Carey started to work her way out.

"I'm sorry, Samuel. I have to go to the bathroom," Carey said.

"I'll go with you," Elizabeth added.

And so Samuel and I were left at the table. I looked at him, and broke a smile. "Please, Mr. Whittmore, let us not be cold to each other. I would fancy a conversation, if I may say so myself," I said

"And why should I?" he asked.

"Come now, Mr. Whittmore. Can't two finely dressed gentlemen have a pleasant conversation while their respective partners are away?"

"I guess it doesn't... Fine, what do you want to talk about?"

"I wanted to discuss you and Carey."

Samuel groaned.

"Do you not wish to marry her?"

He perked up. "No, I do. I just am sick of the wedding talk."

"So you don't wish for a wedding?"

"I mean, I do, but not as dragged out as this."

"I see... I should expect that planning long events is quite the toil for you and your sister."

"You've no idea. Why do you bring that up?"

"Well, there is the simple reason of the relevancy of the subject, and I would also like to have a word in that matter myself with you."

"What?"

"I expect that Carey will be well taken care of."

"Yeah, sure."

"And she will be given her happiness, and not to be confined by your hand. She will be given many liberties to her, as your future wife."

"Why should she be given liberties? We both know that men are better at handling finances."

"I should think that my sister is one of the greatest Queens of her nation at the moment, so don't you dare suggest that women are an incomprehensible thinker, especially of finances."

"You know what I mean, we're smarter."

"That may be so, but intelligence can be taken in different forms."

"Sure."

"Some can be wiser than others, some may shut themselves in their study, while others gain actual experience."

"Yeah right."

"I'm not in jest, Samuel. I shall make my demands now, and you will comply."

"Demands?"

"You've two options. You can either treat Carey with respect and grant her happiness, or you may break the engagement and let her be free. If you so refuse, I will guarantee that I will make your life a living hell," I blandly stated. "Do I make myself clear?"

"Like you can do anything."

"Are you willing to take the risk though? You know what happened to your dear sister when she tried to injure me."

"That's nothing."

"If you refuse to treat your bride to be with dignity, I shall have to resort to slitting your throat with a razor in a freak accident while shaving. It would truly be a pity if, say, the doors were jammed, and your cuts were too severe to be patched with your shoddy hands."

"Are you threatening me?"

"It all depends on your outlook on such," I finalized. I went back to my chair, and took a sip of brandy from my glass. "Am I to be construed?"

"I did hate her anyways... Fine, she goes."

"I knew you would end up making the right decision, sir. Now, when they come back, you will break the news, and won't hesitate."

Carey and Elizabeth came back, along with a glass of iced milk. "Carey, I have something to tell you."

"What is it?"

"I'm breaking up with you," he said, as he stormed out of the restaurant.

"W-what?"

"I settled the matter, hopefully once and for all," I said to them.

"But how?"

"Through some manipulation of words, but let's not focus on the past.

We should be more focused as to what will happen to us all, should Sybil come and release her wrath."

"That may be so, but we will all have to make this together," Elizabeth assured me.

"It is all too comforting to know that you two are on my side, no matter our starting positions."

"Yeah... that... Look, Edward, if you can find it in yourself to forgive me, maybe..."

"All is forgiven, let just say I shall wipe your debt, and you erase your prejudices against me. So you agree to my terms?"

"I accept that," Carey said, outstretching her hand. "Elizabeth, if you wouldn't mind, I think I have some things to make up for my behavior to Edward."

"Fine... please, Carey, don't hurt him," Elizabeth aquested.

"Would you continue to think of our terms as nothing more than a flimsy agreement that is kept on each end? It should not have to be enforced, now should it?" I conversed with Carey.

"You got it, Edward. I'm just glad that you are more than willing to forget our past arrangements."

"I'm more than happy to forget that myself. The only true murderer that I have to be fearful of is Sybil, and that is a woman who, with your and Elizabeth's support, shall be easily stopped."

"I know she will. Now, let's go home. Edward, I can see your tired," Elizabeth cut in.

I gave a stifled laugh. "How well you catch on, my dear master."