XXII

The room was darker than I first remembered coming out from my sleep. I looked around, through my cage to find nothing touched. It was the exact same as it once was before I had parted my eyes from it. I breathed heavily, it was such an awful state of being tormented by this sort of demon that it was impossible to fight a war on two fronts. I had to deal with my own affairs of Sybil, while also fighting Samuel and his version of her. There is absolutely no way I could possibly win on either front. I closed my eyes and drew a shaky breath. No nightmare I had in my existence had come so close to being so cruel to me, as to torment me with her. But, was it also a blessing that I stood by myself? Or was it a curse that her attempts are to become more eccentric?

"Edward?" I heard Elizabeth say sleepily. I turned to see that she had just opened her eyes, and was in a look of concern.

I closed my eyes, and sighed. Then my body began to convulse, shaking uncontrollably.

"Oh, Edward..." She whispered. She rustled out of bed, and took me from the cage, and kept me in her palms as I shook. "What is it? What happened?" She asked.

I couldn't say anything, only collapsed into her hands and breathed too heavy. After a moment where she just held me like it, she brought me closer to her, giving me a tender embrace. "I-it was so r-real," I whispered with a stutter. Elizabeth only kept me in the embrace, taking one hand to caress my head.

"It's alright, Edward. It's alright..."

Through my struggle I managed to speak. "It's something about my mind that is ever so awful. It's happened in the past, this sort of dream. I detest these sort of dreams... I only wish to have myself rid of these horrid ideals that manifest themselves upon my unsuspecting mind. I just want it to stop."

"I know you would... I want to know, what was so horrible?"

"I'd rather not say."

"Edward, please. I can't help you if you don't tell."

"I wish not to discuss it."

"But.... Look, Edward. I'm asking you this as my pet and not a person. You are forced to tell me whatever I want to know, even if you don't want to share it, you have to."

"If you'd known, you wouldn't be able to empathize with my pain."

"Edward, it can't be that bad."

"You truly wish to know? You shall not cower in fear as I regale my horrible nightmare?"

"Of course. I'll listen to you, and, when you've finished, I'll comfort you. Please just tell me."

"Fine... very well then. Do you remember a week or so ago when I told you about Sybil manifesting herself in my mind?"

"Yeah. Did she return? I'm so sorry."

"It wasn't just that... She seemed to know of you, and not in a good light, might I add. I don't know where that awful, ridiculous thought came from, but I don't think it came of my own. I think I know what has been going on, based on what I so crisply said to her. After she had shrunk me, and took power over me, I attempted to escape, but she caught me. In my haste to break free and argument ensues. Sybil claimed she loved me, and I counteracted with how her actions could be true love."

"What's your point here?"

"Oh, yes. Well, as I started to lecture I said that she was a succubus, and only a succubus. I knew of the legends of some of the aspects of them and Incubus's. They lust against a man, or woman's mind and thoughts, possessing dreams in order to sustain themselves. I don't wish to sound mad to you, but, after two consecutive incidents and the previously established events I've experienced, it is not out of the question to say that a succubus has possessed my mind, or I'm forcing myself indirectly because of what has happened to me. But how, might I ask, can that confession of love come from my mind. Sybil was ever so rude to me, and so, I cannot think that I would ever assume she could feel as such... You think I sound mad, don't you?"

"I guess so. But, I also guess that you have experienced a lot in the past few weeks. You left everything you know, been introduced to giants, been kidnapped, having the stress of Carey and Samuel's engagement, and stress from Sybil being around. There isn't a need to think you are mad, because it's completely justified."

"And how do you expect me to justify myself in being mad, when, in reality, I've no grounds for? Because a few events happen in my life, doesn't mean I am obligated to be insane. I don't wish to insult you, nor tear down the character you present to me. But how, how can I continue with myself, knowing I've been possessed, or I haven't and I'm looked as mad?"

"... I'll show you how you can continue yourself," Elizabeth said after a bit of silence. She pulled me closer, to her face, and kissed me, and this time, my body was safe. "Now... you'll sleep with me, or just lay there if you're too scared to. I'll keep you safe from her. And if she thinks of me in a bad light, as you say, then if she wants you, she'll have to go through me to do so."

"Elizabeth, you mustn't throw your life upon the line in order to protect me."

"You don't have a choice. Now, just make yourself comfortable, and I will keep my arms tightly around you, to ward off any succubus or incubus that might be in the area."

"You don't suppose that we should have a cross around, do you?"

"I think that our good thoughts will be enough. Here, lie down," she said. I obeyed, resting my body upon her pillow. Then, I felt a difference in the level, and turning around, I found her laying her head upon it as well. She took her blanket, with a little bit of slack, and swaddled me with the small patch that would be no more than a handkerchief for her. She settled down as well, taking one hand and caressing the top of my head with a finger. I felt more at peace with myself, with Elizabeth close by and being out of a cage, literally. I couldn't help but still feel mortified at the thought of Sybil manifesting herself in order to retain a punishment for me. I did not ever wish to find out if she was real or not.

"I apologize for waking you up, Elizabeth," I sleepy said, closing my eyes.

"It's alright, Edward. Please, get some rest, dea-" she said. She caught herself in the last word, cutting herself off before she could make a fool of herself.

"Goodnight, Lizzie."

"Goodnight, Edward," I heard her say. Her breathing began to slow, and, in synchronization, mine did too. I drifted to sleep, where I am happy to say that she was not there for the remainder of the night, and the week. For that moment, though, I felt ever so content at the thought of her being mere inches from me, the ferocity of my affections to her were getting more unbearable every day to keep secret.