Thinking Out Loud

SO

SO

SO

SO

Unedited

***

"Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Place your head on my beating heart
I'm thinking out loud
That maybe we found love right where we are..."

- Ed Sheeran "Thinking Out Loud"

***

“How was your day at work?” Garrett asked as he walked in the living room and loosened his plain red tie at the same time. His walk was slow and I could tell he was tired, work had drained him.

 “Busy, but good,” I simply answered closing the book I picked up a little while back from a bookshelf located by the hearth. Placing the leather bound book on the coffee table, I decided that I wouldn’t continue reading the novel, even after my talk with Garrett, for it no longer held my interest.

Garrett nodded at me, knowing that answer about work would have to satisfy him. After all, details were not to be shared about what happens at my work and he knew that more than anyone. “MaryAnn should have dinner ready soon,” He proclaimed tossed his tie on the table and sat down on the tan suede love-seat. It was in that moment that the fire from the fireplace showed the bags under his eyes.

“You seem tired,” I commented on the obvious.

 “Very. Had a long day at work,” He stated as he rubbed his eyes and then focused on the blazing fireplace. He was transfixed, quickly, by the orange and yellow hues, I knew then that he was deep in thought.

 Of course I naturally questioned what was running through his head. However, didn’t voice my curiosity because I knew it was work related and I didn’t want to be placed in the middle of that. Personally, I had enough going on with Mr. Sharp.

"Good, you are here,” MaryAnn said as she hastily walked in and noticed Garrett. Worry was planted on her face as she locked eyes with him. “I need your help with something.”

 Garrett sighed, “You are my head maid. I’m supposed to ask you for help with things,” He joked with a smile that didn’t reach his eyes.

MaryAnn’s eyes flickered up to the ceiling before glancing back over at Garrett.

It was clear that there was a hidden message there and Garrett understood exactly what she meant for he got up from the love-seat, quickly. “Oh.” Garrett looked over at me, “Stay here.”

I chuckled, “I really wasn’t planning to go anywhere.”

Garrett didn’t reply as he walked out of the room in a rush. Soon, I heard his heavy footsteps as they went up the staircase.

I don’t know why but I counted the steps he took, forty-two in all. Pushing the number of steps and what he could possibly be doing out of my mind, I began to think about all the events that happened today.

“Dinner is ready,” MaryAnn said as she came back in the room a few minutes later.

I got up from the couch and followed MaryAnn into the dining room. I noted that Garrett was back from whatever he was doing up stairs because he was currently at the end of the table and looking at his plate with wide, hungry, eyes.

I internally chuckled before sitting across from him, where my steaming plate was. When I sat down, I saw that MaryAnn had made some fried chicken, mash potatoes, green beans and a garden salad. “This looks great,” I proclaimed as I put my napkin in my lap.